Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading over these boards and just wanted to share with everyone a few things that bring me a little comfort. One huge thing actually is a rice sack - heating pad. It is a cloth sack filled with rice on the inside. I have a lady who makes them for me, but I have seen them in the local drug stores. I heat it in the microwave and place it over my tummy when I'm having a bad bout with cramping. It doesn't make it go away by any means, but the heat brings a little comfort. I have been using mine for about 10 years. I don't go anywhere without it. It actually is my personal security blanket. If for some reason we are out of town I always make sure the room has a microwave so I can heat it up. Also I take an herb called "Slippery Elm" I know with those of us who have IBS-D "slippery" doesn't sound comforting (lol) but it is a tree bark powdered down into capsules. The brand I buy is called "Nature's Way" it comes in a pill form, and it is suppose to be comforting on your stomach. I also have been taking this for about 10 years and I take 2-3 before each meal. I notice it does help on semi normal days, on really bad days nothing seems to help. Also I have noticed that doing Yoga helps me, but it has to be relaxation yoga only, I can't do hot yoga or a fast paced yoga. I went to a few relaxation yoga classes and then started doing it myself at home and I notice that if I skip doing it for a while my symptoms are worse. I do it in the morning and it seems to help my relax my mind a little. And also walking on my treadmill helps, but be aware that the first few weeks of the treadmill and yoga I did use the bathroom a little more, but once my body adjusted it really seems to help at times.Anyway, just a few things that help me. I have tried a tons of medications and natural things and nothing else has helped, but after reading this website I think I might try the Xanax or whatever that drug is. I tried Lotronex before it was taken off the market and it really gave me my life back, and was devestated when it was gone, and now that it is back I am nervous to go back on it with the side effects so high, and also we are trying to have a baby, and I don't want to get adjusted to a medication that i can't use during pregnancy. Hope these tips help, I've been going through a bad time again lately, but I know it will get better.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry everyone, but I forgot to mention that I also take Citricl every morning and that seems to help me, my dr. said that cirtil is less gassy than metamucil. I don't know if that is true, but I haven't dared compare the two, I don't need any more than I already have (lol)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts