Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, I suffer from IBS C&D. Today was the first time in quite sometime (3 months, I think) that I have had a genuine case of D. It came without major warning cramps, but with plenty of trips to the bathroom. It was "triggered" by sushi, which I've eaten plenty of times with no problems whatsoever, but I think it was the sheer volume of food that forced my guts into overdrive. Thinking back over the past 24 hours, I pondered what my "trigger" could have been. I think I have narrowed it down to all the fresh fruit that is in season, namely bing cherries, that I can't seem to get enough of! I hope that I'm not the only one with this weakness, but I just can't help myself. Thank goodness I have no long distance travel plans for a while!Ashley

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I've always had trouble with fruit, ever since I was little. With what I've learned ont this site I figured out it's the sugar/sorbitol - I can't absorb it and it causes burning pains. Most people, including me, jumped to the conclusion it was the acid.I've reached the point where I get annoyed when people try to force "healthy" fruit on me. It's not healthy for me.Before I figured this out I noticed if I ate baked fruit instead of raw it didn't bother me so much. Maybe you could try making a cherry pie instead of eating them raw.

G

·
Cherries are notorious for causing D-when I was playing in the pit orchestra for community theatre the actors weren't allowed to eat cherries for fear it would cause a D attack when they needed to go on stage! I find that canned fruits like apricots and pears are much easier on my gut, and they aren't too bad for you if you get the ones canned in their own juice. Take care,Meliponid

·
Registered
568 Posts
Oh my, I didn't know that about cherries! I've been eating them like they are going out of style.I love cherries especially those yellow/orange ones. I guess that's why I've had such bad D lately. I haven't eaten cherries in about 5 days and I haven't had D in about five days hmmmmm. Ah, yet another trigger to add to my list.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It is fairly typical for normal people to get loose stools in the summer time when there is plenty of fresh produce available.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
766 Posts
When you say you had sushi, are you talking about raw veggies, or raw fish?Don't forget that raw fish can carry things that can make you sick! Just because we have IBS doesn't mean a D attack can't be a little bit of food poisoning or something.But overdoing fruit can certainly bring on D! I just love fruit, and have always had to watch myself, because too much can definitely bring on D!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
atp, I had raw fish. I have never ever had a problem with it *knock on wood*, and I seriously doubt that it would have affected me 5 minutes after eating it. I'm doing better today, but I still feel wiped out from last night's episode. I also haven't touched any fruit either. Ashley

G

·
Even before I had full-blown IBS, I definitely noticed an increase in diarrhea in the summer. For me, it was the heat, the fruit (I also love cherries, but they don't love me back), and the hotdogs (no more!). I have always been especially careful what I eat in the summer and yet it is still my favorite season.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.