Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I must say I learn more from you folks than all the countless doctors I have ever visited--thanks!!! I have noticed that sometimes if I get bloated that you can actually see my stomach sticking out, not to mention the obvious pain than goes with it--have any of you ever experienced this? Sometimes just normal swallowing pumps me up like a baloon. Is this unique to me???

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
The causes of bloating and distension are common in IBS. They have not figured out the mecanisms behind them completely yet. Most people thing it is from gas, when in fact it may not be, or a combination of things could be happening. Personally I fee wiith my IBS distension is not associated with gas, but another mecanism.Some info for you.Am J Gastroenterol 2001 Apr;96(4):1139-42 Related Articles, Books, LinkOut Abdominal wall muscle activity in irritable bowel syndrome with bloating. McManis PG, Newall D, Talley NJ. Department of Medicine, University of Sydney, Nepean Hospital, NSW, Australia. OBJECTIVE: Recurrent episodes of bloating and visible abdominal distension are common and distressing in irritable bowel syndrome, but the mechanisms are unknown. Patients often note that the distension is most pronounced in the upright posture, suggesting that the bloating may be the result of a decrease or absence of the normal rise in electromyograph activity in the abdominal wall muscles when standing. There are no reports of noninvasive electromyograph recordings of abdominal wall muscles in irritable bowel syndrome. We examined the hypothesis that abdominal distension is the result of relaxation of anterior abdominal wall musculature. METHODS: Studies were performed on patients with irritable bowel syndrome and a history of visible distension (n = 11, mean age 48.6 yr, body mass index 24.8) and normal volunteers (n = 13, mean age 39.9 yr, body mass index 24.6). Surface recordings of muscle activity were made while subjects were lying, performing voluntary contraction of the abdominal wall, and standing. The examiners were blind as to the clinical status of the subjects. RESULTS: There were no differences in abdominal wall muscle activity (by electromyograph voltage) when comparing patients with irritable bowel syndrome to normal volunteers (e.g., relaxed lower abdomen supine mean electromyograph voltage in irritable bowel syndrome was 14.0 vs 14.6 in controls, p = 0.7, and relaxed lower abdomen standing in irritable bowel syndrome was 29.6 vs 25.2 in controls, p = 0.4). There was increased activity in both groups when contracting the muscles and when standing. CONCLUSIONS: Patterns of abdominal wall muscle activity do not differ between normal subjects and patients with irritable bowel syndrome. However, there is a clear increase in muscle activity in the standing position. Episodic distension is unlikely to be due to permanent anterior abdominal muscle weakness or a persistent inability of the muscles to activate with standing in irritable bowel syndrome. PMID: 11316160 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Gut 2001 Jan;48(1):14-9 Related Articles, Books, LinkOut Impaired transit and tolerance of intestinal gas in the irritable bowel syndrome. Serra J, Azpiroz F, Malagelada JR. Digestive System Research Unit, Hospital General Vall d'Hebron, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain. BACKGROUND: Patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) frequently complain of excessive gas but their fasting volume of intestinal gas is apparently normal. We hypothesised that the pathophysiological mechanism involved may be impairment of intestinal gas transit. AIM: To investigate intestinal gas transit and tolerance in IBS patients compared with healthy subjects. METHODS: A gas mixture (N(2), O(2), and CO(2) in venous proportions) was infused into the jejunum of 20 patients with IBS and 20 healthy controls at 12 ml/min for four hours. Gas evacuation, initially flatus from the anus (two hours) and then intrarectally (two hours), was continuously recorded. Symptom perception (0-6 scale) and abdominal distension were measured at 10 minute intervals. RESULTS: After two hours of external gas (flatus) collection, 18 of 20 IBS patients had developed gas retention (>400 ml), increased gastrointestinal symptoms (score >3), or abdominal distension (>3 mm girth increment) compared with only four of 20 control subjects. During intrarectal gas collection, 13 of 17 patients still exhibited abnormal responses. CONCLUSION: A large proportion of patients with IBS can be shown to have impaired transit and tolerance of intestinal gas loads. This anomaly may represent a possible mechanism of IBS symptoms, specifically pain and bloating. PMID: 11115817 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
The causes of bloating and distension are common in IBS. They have not figured out the mecanisms behind them completely yet. Most people thing it is from gas, when in fact it may not be, or a combination of things could be happening. Personally I fee wiith my IBS distension is not associated with gas, but another mecanism.Some info for you.Am J Gastroenterol 2001 Apr;96(4):1139-42 Related Articles, Books, LinkOut Abdominal wall muscle activity in irritable bowel syndrome with bloating. McManis PG, Newall D, Talley NJ. Department of Medicine, University of Sydney, Nepean Hospital, NSW, Australia. OBJECTIVE: Recurrent episodes of bloating and visible abdominal distension are common and distressing in irritable bowel syndrome, but the mechanisms are unknown. Patients often note that the distension is most pronounced in the upright posture, suggesting that the bloating may be the result of a decrease or absence of the normal rise in electromyograph activity in the abdominal wall muscles when standing. There are no reports of noninvasive electromyograph recordings of abdominal wall muscles in irritable bowel syndrome. We examined the hypothesis that abdominal distension is the result of relaxation of anterior abdominal wall musculature. METHODS: Studies were performed on patients with irritable bowel syndrome and a history of visible distension (n = 11, mean age 48.6 yr, body mass index 24.8) and normal volunteers (n = 13, mean age 39.9 yr, body mass index 24.6). Surface recordings of muscle activity were made while subjects were lying, performing voluntary contraction of the abdominal wall, and standing. The examiners were blind as to the clinical status of the subjects. RESULTS: There were no differences in abdominal wall muscle activity (by electromyograph voltage) when comparing patients with irritable bowel syndrome to normal volunteers (e.g., relaxed lower abdomen supine mean electromyograph voltage in irritable bowel syndrome was 14.0 vs 14.6 in controls, p = 0.7, and relaxed lower abdomen standing in irritable bowel syndrome was 29.6 vs 25.2 in controls, p = 0.4). There was increased activity in both groups when contracting the muscles and when standing. CONCLUSIONS: Patterns of abdominal wall muscle activity do not differ between normal subjects and patients with irritable bowel syndrome. However, there is a clear increase in muscle activity in the standing position. Episodic distension is unlikely to be due to permanent anterior abdominal muscle weakness or a persistent inability of the muscles to activate with standing in irritable bowel syndrome. PMID: 11316160 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Gut 2001 Jan;48(1):14-9 Related Articles, Books, LinkOut Impaired transit and tolerance of intestinal gas in the irritable bowel syndrome. Serra J, Azpiroz F, Malagelada JR. Digestive System Research Unit, Hospital General Vall d'Hebron, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain. BACKGROUND: Patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) frequently complain of excessive gas but their fasting volume of intestinal gas is apparently normal. We hypothesised that the pathophysiological mechanism involved may be impairment of intestinal gas transit. AIM: To investigate intestinal gas transit and tolerance in IBS patients compared with healthy subjects. METHODS: A gas mixture (N(2), O(2), and CO(2) in venous proportions) was infused into the jejunum of 20 patients with IBS and 20 healthy controls at 12 ml/min for four hours. Gas evacuation, initially flatus from the anus (two hours) and then intrarectally (two hours), was continuously recorded. Symptom perception (0-6 scale) and abdominal distension were measured at 10 minute intervals. RESULTS: After two hours of external gas (flatus) collection, 18 of 20 IBS patients had developed gas retention (>400 ml), increased gastrointestinal symptoms (score >3), or abdominal distension (>3 mm girth increment) compared with only four of 20 control subjects. During intrarectal gas collection, 13 of 17 patients still exhibited abnormal responses. CONCLUSION: A large proportion of patients with IBS can be shown to have impaired transit and tolerance of intestinal gas loads. This anomaly may represent a possible mechanism of IBS symptoms, specifically pain and bloating. PMID: 11115817 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
546 Posts
ah yes. bloating. my favorite subject. when i get bloating i look wider from the side - my gut is visibly distended. if i'm not wearing loose clothing it really hurts.i find when it gets this bad, lying on my stomach makes me feel more comfortable and somehow helps direct the gas ("trapped" gas or whatever you want to call it)through my system until it is finally exits from my butt and is set free like a butterfly into the wind.
-jj

·
Registered
546 Posts
ah yes. bloating. my favorite subject. when i get bloating i look wider from the side - my gut is visibly distended. if i'm not wearing loose clothing it really hurts.i find when it gets this bad, lying on my stomach makes me feel more comfortable and somehow helps direct the gas ("trapped" gas or whatever you want to call it)through my system until it is finally exits from my butt and is set free like a butterfly into the wind.
-jj

·
Registered
521 Posts
quote:Episodic distension is unlikely to be due to permanent anterior abdominal muscle weakness or a persistent inability of themuscles to activate with standing in irritable bowel syndrome.
So anybody know what this means? Why would it be permanent? Isn't there any way to strengthen the anterior abs? And how are the anterior abs different from the regular abs (or are they)? Many questions.

·
Registered
521 Posts
quote:Episodic distension is unlikely to be due to permanent anterior abdominal muscle weakness or a persistent inability of themuscles to activate with standing in irritable bowel syndrome.
So anybody know what this means? Why would it be permanent? Isn't there any way to strengthen the anterior abs? And how are the anterior abs different from the regular abs (or are they)? Many questions.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Ugh, they saying its not permanent in the study, but more "However, there is a clear increase in muscle activity in the standing position" meaning more activity, not that its activating and then not.I have a good feeling that the hypnosis works so well on this is for both reasons. It relaxes the gut hence impair transent is increaseed to dispell it and it relaxes the gut muscles so they are not overly activating. Just some thoughts.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Ugh, they saying its not permanent in the study, but more "However, there is a clear increase in muscle activity in the standing position" meaning more activity, not that its activating and then not.I have a good feeling that the hypnosis works so well on this is for both reasons. It relaxes the gut hence impair transent is increaseed to dispell it and it relaxes the gut muscles so they are not overly activating. Just some thoughts.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

G

·
A lighter side to bloating: I was sitting at the breakfast table with my husband,daughter and four year old grandson. I accidentally passed gas, you know how that is, comes sometimes when we don't want it too... Well, my grandson startled, asked who did that? My husband and daughter knew it was me and by that time were busting out laughing, but I quickly replied, it was Daisy (our peek a poo). My grandson bought it, I don't know how long I can keep fooling him.

G

·
A lighter side to bloating: I was sitting at the breakfast table with my husband,daughter and four year old grandson. I accidentally passed gas, you know how that is, comes sometimes when we don't want it too... Well, my grandson startled, asked who did that? My husband and daughter knew it was me and by that time were busting out laughing, but I quickly replied, it was Daisy (our peek a poo). My grandson bought it, I don't know how long I can keep fooling him.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Doh! I must have been half asleep when I posted that...not sure how I missed the "unlikely" part.So they are saying there's increased activity in both IBS and the controls when standing..is that right? If I just read the conclusion I'd think they were referring to increased activity of IBSers over the controls, but they say "There was increasedactivity in both groups when contracting the muscles and when standing."

·
Registered
521 Posts
Doh! I must have been half asleep when I posted that...not sure how I missed the "unlikely" part.So they are saying there's increased activity in both IBS and the controls when standing..is that right? If I just read the conclusion I'd think they were referring to increased activity of IBSers over the controls, but they say "There was increasedactivity in both groups when contracting the muscles and when standing."

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
UGH, "So they are saying there's increased activity in both IBS and the controls when standing..is that right?"That is right, the difference might be that IBSers are hypersenstive to the gut so they notice it more and feel it.However, Like it says they haven't figured this one out all the way yet.If you look at this chart there was a pretty big difference in the placebo to the hypno group, so something its doing is working. I don't thing you see that from any otc gas study that I have seen and I believe like I said that it may work on some different levels. http://www.ibshypnosis.com/IBSresearch.html ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
UGH, "So they are saying there's increased activity in both IBS and the controls when standing..is that right?"That is right, the difference might be that IBSers are hypersenstive to the gut so they notice it more and feel it.However, Like it says they haven't figured this one out all the way yet.If you look at this chart there was a pretty big difference in the placebo to the hypno group, so something its doing is working. I don't thing you see that from any otc gas study that I have seen and I believe like I said that it may work on some different levels. http://www.ibshypnosis.com/IBSresearch.html ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I never have a bloating problem, just a constant seeping problem, which ruins my social life.. like PU
------------------You will never know that God is all you need....... until God is all you have. �� Prayer doesn't change God , it changes the one who prays..C type, with G

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I never have a bloating problem, just a constant seeping problem, which ruins my social life.. like PU
------------------You will never know that God is all you need....... until God is all you have. �� Prayer doesn't change God , it changes the one who prays..C type, with G

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Thanks for the info eric. This has always been a mystery to me (about the standing increasing the bloating), and my doctors look at me as though I am crazy whenever I have mentioned it to them. I really haven't heard of anyone here on this board mention it either. I have both pain and an increase in abdominal girth when I am on my feet for prolonged periods, and this article at least gives it some credibility. This has been most notably since, by the way, my infection/overgrowth problem.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Thanks for the info eric. This has always been a mystery to me (about the standing increasing the bloating), and my doctors look at me as though I am crazy whenever I have mentioned it to them. I really haven't heard of anyone here on this board mention it either. I have both pain and an increase in abdominal girth when I am on my feet for prolonged periods, and this article at least gives it some credibility. This has been most notably since, by the way, my infection/overgrowth problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts