Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bah! so i went to a party friday night...drank a few glasses of wine and-----C all weekend, totally threw off my system! and more pain than i've had in a long time...but really, the migraine was the worst!i just hope i can get back on track soon...i suppose i could have opted not to drink, but due to my problems with anxiety (esp. social)...the wine was just too appealing...
see, i want to be out and social, but why do i have to pay for it so much afterwards!

· Registered
919 Posts
It helps to find the right alcohol for you.Beer and wine really aggravate me. Jim Beam is the one thing that agrees with me!Yeast doesnt appear to be well tolerated by the gut for a lot of people.in saying that, all alcohol is an irritant and will irritate the gut this way or that. what may induce D in some people can induce C in others, eg stress, worry etc.

· Registered
8,963 Posts
Minimum,the wine is the worst thing to drink.Alcolol is not ibs friendly.

· Registered
134 Posts
Vodka is like the only thing I can drink, that won't have much of an effect on me. But I usually drink beer inspite of the negative reaction I have to it. In fact I don't even drink all that much vodka anymore, I usually just drink beer, or Rum. Rum's easier on me then beer, but it still can cause some unpleasent side effects.But I haven't gotten really drunk in a while anyway. Taking a break. I mean I've been drinking socially, but not getting drunk.

· Registered
333 Posts
The sweeter the wine, the more it will irritate the colon. I've found that Shiraz as a red or Pinot Grigio as a white have very little effect on me. Also, drink plenty of water if you are going to have some wine, the dilution is good for the tummy and water is always good for you anyway.

· Registered
1,801 Posts
Hi guys, I can't drink wine & spirits because of the fructose. But I have heard that rum, vodka from potatoes, and very dry white wine may be OK. I'm too chicken to test that theory out!!! It's a real drag at parties--people think you're a stick in the mud, or worse, a recovering alcoholic.T-

· Registered
1,801 Posts
Hi guys, I can't drink wine & spirits because of the fructose("The sweeter the wine, the more it will irritate the colon."). But I have heard that rum, vodka from potatoes, and very dry white wine(like Antonio said) may be OK. I'm too chicken to test that theory out!!! It's a real drag at parties--people think you're a stick in the mud, or worse, a recovering alcoholic.T-

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
see that's the problem...without a couple of drinks--i am a stick in the mud! also, i can't tolerate drunk people unless i am somewhat drunk myself...i suppose i could just avoid these alcoholic situations, but i'd rather not, the socializing does wonders for me...and the alcohol, although it seems to hurt me afterwards, really helps me to forget my anxiety and ibs at the time i'm drinking it...regardless, the number of parties, etc. that i get invited to are minimal since i have no friends, so i guess i don't have to worry about this that often!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.