Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I was doing just fine, my IBS was in remission, hardly any problems mostly gas related every now and then...and 2 days ago I had this major disappointment. No need to bore you with the whole story enough said it was something VERY important for my and my professional life and I failed. I was so upset I just started to cry in the supermarket after I heard the news and when I got home I got this belly ache...I was full of gas that was rumbling through me...same thing two days in a row
No D though, just this horrible gas pain that comes and goes as the gas moves (out of me) for the last 2 days. How much is the state of mind connected with IBS in the end? Cause for me it seems to work: I get upset = gas and pain almost instantly. I get really upset or panicked = I poo in my pants! LOL

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There is a mind body connection like that for all illnesses, it isn't just IBS.When the mind is in turmoil that sends signals to the body and whatever part of you has an underlying problem is the one that usually has symptoms.The mind didn't cause the IBS to start. That is a physical thing. However, the gut and brain have a lot of nerves and talk a lot (and all humans are wired so you can dump some excess weight in a fight or flight situation (why anyone can poop their pants if the situation is extreme enough).A lot of people find mental or emotional stress is a trigger for their IBS symptoms. (but the same is true for people with asthma or tachycardia--I have both, bad stress can be really fun in my house--just some diseases are a bit more dramatic when they go off so you notice it more, but you can see this with any disease, being all stressed out or emotional makes them all worse)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.