Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to add in foods to my very restricted diet and am terrified!At the moment I only have carrots for veggies so please can someone suggest what I can try next?Please please help - something that is generally gentle but will add in a little fiber etc to my poor diet.Love to allJane x

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
One of the usual low gas diet sites I post has Harvard Beets and Steamed Spinach on the menu.This site http://www.seattlecca.org/gastrointestinal-diet-2.cfmHas these as recommended veggies for people who are having diarrhea problems after meals.
* Well cooked, tender vegetables, as tolerated: asparagus tips, beets, carrots, green beans, lettuce, mushrooms, pumpkin, sweet potatoes and yams without skin, winter squash * Skinless potatoes (baked, boiled, mashed, baked french cut, baked hash brown) * Frozen potatoes: Fat-free hash browns, low fat fries (less than 4 grams fat per 3 ounces)
Generally well cooked seems to work well for people. I would limit lettuce, but you might be able to tolerate a little bit on a sandwich or something like that.If you find soft drinks with high fructose corn syrup bother you, it may be worth starting with the low fructose diet veggies.http://john.toebes.com/diet.html
Recommended Vegetables: * (0 - 0.2 gms fructose) 2 - 4 servings per day. Tolerance may be dose dependent. Servings: 1?4 to 1?2 cup. o Broad beans o Celery o Chives o Dandelion greens o Endive o Escarole o Mushrooms o Mustard greens o Pea Pods, immature o Potatoes, baked, mashed, fried, hash-browns o Shallots o Spinach o Swiss chard o Turnip greens * (0.3 - 0.6 gm fructose): 2 servings per week. Tolerance may be dose dependent. Servings: 1?4 to 1?2 cup. o Asparagus o Beans, snap, canned, drained o Broccoli* o Brussels sprouts* o Cabbage, raw, white* o Cauliflower* o Cucumber, raw* o Green peppers, raw* o Leeks, cooked o Lettuce, iceberg o Radishes, raw* o Summer squash o Watercress o Zucchini*Indicates gas forming foods and may need to be avoided

·
Registered
908 Posts
In one of my books that discusses elimination diets there is a food reintroduction chart. Here are the veggiesphase 1Squash, zucchini, mushrooms, cucumbersPhase 2peas, snow peas, asparagus, green and yellow beans, bean sprouts, yams, pumpkin, sweet potato, water ChesnutsPhase 3butter lettuce, cauliflower, broccoli, celery, chives, spinach, boy choy, bamboo shootsPhase 4articokes, turnip, parsnip, potatoe, tomatoes, lettuce, onion, brussels sprouts, beans, lentials, beets, cabbage, corn, kohlorbi, rhubarb.good luck!

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Even 10 years after getting better, the nightshades--tomatoes, potatoes (white, not sweet), eggplant, sweet peppers, and presumably others--can be problematical both for my skin (eczema) and my bowels.Mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you for this list. I am definitely having trouble with fructose. I have been eating carrots and beets all along. Maybe those need to come out for a while and I can try these vegetables.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Keep away from vegetables with skins that are hard to disgest and can irritate the bowels like kidney beans and sweetcorn! These are guaranteed to make me bad for a few days after which is a shame because I love them!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts