Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading a post where you say that it is not IBS without accompanied pain, please tell the ones of us who experience all symptoms except pain what we do have...... I thank you for your time and the helpful advise that you are willing to share with us on this Board......, Marinell

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
"Functional Gastrointestinal Disorder": variable combination of chronic or recurrent gastrointestinal symptoms not explained by structural or biochemical abnormalities"Irritable Bowel Syndrome": a functional bowel disorder in which abdominal pain is associated with defecation or a change in bowel habit, and with features of disordered defecation and with distension.Functional GI disorders (a partial list): A.Esophageal: globus, rumination, chest pain,functional heartburn and functional swallowing disorders B.Gastroduodenal: functional dyspepsia,aerophagia. C. Bowel Disorders: IBS, functional bloating, functional diarrhea, functional constipation. D. Functional Abdominal Pain E. Biliary disorders: gallbladder dysfunction, biliary dyskinesia F.Anorectal Disorders: functional incontinence, proctalgia fugax, pelvic floor dysfunctionGuys, this is simply a matter of definitions. The apparent anxiety which my previous statement has caused highlights two important points about functional GI dosorders, the folks who own them and the folks who treat them:1. Confusion/ignorance exists in the medical community regarding classification of these disorders. For many clinicians, IBS is an (incorrect) synoym for for any functional GI disorder.2.Those that own a functional GI disorder tend to be wrapped pretty tight and any perturbation of their environment sets off a flurry of activity. This may explain in part the difference between the significant percentage of the population with functional bowel symptoms and the small/miniscule percentage of the population who seek care for them.

·
Registered
668 Posts
DocJ,I'm the one who you made that statement to. Sorry to cause all this trouble but you got me to thinking so I made an appointment with my family doctor. I explained to her about my nervousness anytime I had to go somewhere and how that would cause me to have diarrhea but I also told her I would have diarrhea at times when I didn't have to go somewhere. She said nerves could be a cause of diarrhea even if I didn't consciously (sp) feel nervous. She prescribed .25 mg Xanax twice a day. I have only had diarrhea once since I started this stuff a week ago yesterday. I think it was from salomi (sp). Have you ever heard of nerves causing diarrhea? It seems that calming my nerves has calmed my intestines. Or it could all be in my head and I have imagined it away. Thanks for your input and the time you spend on this board.Joe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Joe-Your brain and your gut are hard-wired together. When people get anxious, or are stressed, it's common for their bowel and bladder function to get twitchy. Walk in a locker room before a big game and you'll see guys in the can repeatedly. It's normal human behavior. when we get stressed, some of us cry, some of scream, some of us kick the dog and some of us have a big, runny bowel movement.Be well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts