Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Pam and I live in Manchester in the United Kingdom. I have suffered with IBS for about six years now. The symptoms seemed to exacerbate following the removal of my gall bladder. My consultant felt that that was the cause of my pain but after my op I still suffered with gas, pain in my back and colon. I hope that by joining this forum I can learn from other IBS sufferers how you all cope and of any alternative remedies that you have found to have eased the symptoms. One question I wanted to ask the members on here was: do any of you suffer with palpatations when your stomach fills with gas? It is something that has been happening to me quite a lot recently. My BP is fine and I have had my heart checked out via ECG. Do any of you know if there is any correlation between IBS and these symptoms I am experiencing?I would be very grateful for your feedback and thank you in anticipation.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Check out LNAPE's posts about calcium, most are over on the OTC part of the board (use the hop to scroll bar below to get to all the different forums).Some people get more diarrhea (IBS or not) after gall bladder removal.Low fat diets can help, Calcium seems to help some, Questran (bile binding medications) can help others....assuming diarrhea is the way you got worse.K.

·
Registered
166 Posts
There is a strong association between IBS and anxiety, panic, and other nervous conditions. Yes, I have a racing heart and palpitations that go along with my symptoms (although for me, gas was never severely painful). For me, a carb restricted diet calmed my stomach immensely. By keeping a food diary, I found that fructose was a problem - a big problem. If someone has dietary fructose malabsorption, that sugar is not absorbed, it is fermented in the gut, and produces gas and diarrhea. Fructose malabsorption also lowers tryptophan in the blood, which limits serotonin production and can lead to anxiety, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.