Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted this before, but I suspect the title I used was too cautious, and hardly anyone seems to have read it, so here it is one last time.I've tried Esdifan, calcium, which didn't work at all. Cholestyramine, which worked for about 2 years, then didn't anymore, as well as various other things that I can't remember. What sort of works, though I'm sure it is not going to be good for everyone, is the following (which was supported with some cognitive therapy).In the morning 2 Imodium after the usual trip to the bathroom. This used to tend to make me constipated and this would lead to bad wind and then back to D. I now drink Acacia fibre with water - just a teaspoonful with plenty of water - at night just before I go to bed. Crucial other elements are Beano/Say yes to beans before meals that can trigger wind-based D, and concentrated root ginger capsules if I start to get wind (which means either D or cramps). Ginger used to make me go, but combined with Imodium seems to stop much of the problem.Downside: Imodium makes you pee, and you need to drink a lot of water to stop dehydration and keep stools loose enough, but this does not lead to D. The dehydration cuts one's ability to enjoy alcohol, as it is very easy to get hungover. But compared to constant D, this is not so bad. Hope this might help someone.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yes, thanks.My regime that has worked now for over a month is:1/2 immodium and 1 81mg aspirin in the morning, usually after breakfast and/or the first BM.If I feel an attack coming, I'll take another 1/2 immodium and another aspirin.If I have a REALLY bad day (like the day after halloween was where I ate WAY too much candy even for a normal person) then it's a whole immodium and 2 aspirins.It's amazing how well this is working. I have 2-3 well formed movements a day, no major urgency and when I go, I go and get done and feel done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you take a coated aspirin with the imodium? Because aspirin itself can cause diarrhea. If this regimen works, it is really simple. I shall certainly try it. Thanks

·
Registered
556 Posts
It is the coated aspirin, but baby aspirin also seemed to work. I found out by accident when my wife was pregnant and took 1 a day. I did to for "support" and noticed my IBS getting better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts