Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am IBS A and really wish we had a section here on the BB for IBS-A people. I think we have unique problems, especially w/anxiety. IMO to much or to little of a good thing is especially bothersome, as is never knowing which way things are going to go.Its a #### shoot, pun intended

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree Nancy, if i had just C or D i could use a particlar med or otc, but it gets so frustrated with being A u constantly have to work to achieve a balance between the two, then the stress and anxiety really messes things up.just when i think i have things under control, it changes on me. Good luck, Sincerly Laura IBS/A, c predominately for over 30 yrs, unless stressed or anxiety or forbidden foods eaten.Started out with D all the time when first diagnosed at 21 yrs age, now 50.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I will
I'm an A. I stick mostly to the D section cause that's what I suffer from the most, but I do get C and when I do boy do I get C! I can't take most of the meds that are designed for D'ers as I end up horribly C to the point where I have to be taken off the med
I agree, we do have a whole set of problems but do you guys find that even though you are an A that you lean more towards either C or D as a general rule?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I am also an A but lean towards D more often. I don't know which is worse, the C or D. With D there is always the sense of urgency and potential for a slip if you don't make the bathroom in time. I agree with everyone here, its frustrating cause you cant take meds for the D cause then you suffer for the next 4 days with C!!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I guess I'm "A" too. I would say mostly I am "D", but then the Imodium I take for that creates "C", so it's a tough balance. And then inevitably the morning the meds are wearing off I have to be somewhere, so take more meds. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lately i tend to be on the C side. When I have D its not very D like (meaning loose and watery-sorry to be gross). rather I can poop on some days up to 9-12 times over 3-4 hours, all formed. I see an IBS xpert who floored me when she said I am D due to the frequency. I can also go, sometimes more than once and still "feel" C. I can and do for several days w/out going. When I was younger and was first diagnosed w/IBS (I always tended to be a "stomach person" growing up)I was D predominant. When i was pregnant with my son I didnt ever have a formed stool. i had terrible trouble gaining weight. After he was born and for 3 yrs after I was D predominat and lost weight.I started taking fibercon in 1990, which helped my D become formed and like I said before I started w/this new gastro I thought I just pooped alot or was C. My pain has been helped by taking low dose elavil which works better w/paxil by making me less anxious.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, Yes, Please let's have a separate place for IBS A. I, too, usually read the Diarrhea section mostly, but the cure for this (for me) is immodium and of course, inevitably I end up constipated sometimes, especially when traveling.Moma

G

·
Hi - I think thats the joy of IBS - ha ha, especially with me - I have a really bolshy colon - so am mostly C but do have horrendous periods of D - today, for example, I was off to the Doctors and incredibly keyed up about this - get in such a state about my health - honestly thought I'd be in Christies hospital by this arvo. What is it with this bloody condition and I've had it for over 10 years so you'd think I'd have calmed down by now!!Sue

·
Registered
154 Posts
i think it would be a great idea to have place for IBS A i would use it i go to both D and C forums but lately ive been C but moma i know what you mean if i get D and i take something for it i usally end up with C

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I alternate between the two also, lately it's been more constipation than anything else. But if I feel D coming on then I usually take immodium or something and then I'm back to C. It's a frustrating and vicious cycle. I do tend to look at both the D and the C forum. It would be nice to go to one forum for those of us that have both.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm also an IBS-A, but I really don't obsess too much about the C. I come here and read the boards on D because that is the part that makes me so freaking anxious and afraid to travel far from a loo.A few months ago I started Paxil and while it has relaxed me considerably, it made me unbearably constipated -- until something made me REALLY nervous and the floodgates opened, despite the Paxil. I have since started taking my nightly dose of Paxil along with 3 stool softener capsules and I'm getting to be much more like a "regular" person. Does that make you snicker --- I'm mortified of getting stuck in traffic and crapping myself, yet I take a maximum dose of stool softeners every night. What irony.For what it's worth, they are docusate sodium (store brand of Colace) and my internist told me I can take them long term without harm. Eating fiber and supplementing with Benefiber just didn't seem to help sufficiently.Anyway, I would welcome an IBS-A board or thread as well.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I obsess more when I am C (today is actually a "good day" so far)because in the back of my mind I fear getting a bowel obstruction. I had major abdominal surgery twice, once 18 yrs ago c-sec and 3 yrs ago a left adrenalectomy. I know one is more likely to get an obstruction after having had abdominal surgery but I'm hoping that the more time that passes w/out one the less likely it becomes. But my SIL had an abdominal hyst over 15 yrs ago and last yr she had a bowel obstruction so I suppose you can never say never.I wish Jeff would see this cause I know a lot of us would like to have a special section on the BB for type A.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.