Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,I'm new to this site and so glad that I found it. I have been suffering with IBS for at least the past 10 years. I'm a vegetarian and have been for 20 years, and I really would not like to go back to eating meat or fish. I like the idea of a healthy diet i.e grains, veg, fruit, lentils, but the problem is healthy foods really hurt my stomach, especially beans and veg, not so much tofu. I have been having cramps and runny stools for the past two weeks because I dared to eat Aubergine and Cabbage. I can eat fried foods without pain all I want. I can chips (french fries), vege sausage, burger, crisp, chocolate, just not anything healthy.Is anyone going through the same problem. I really want to improve my diet without the consequences that come with being healthy. By the way, regular side salads i.e lettuce, cucumber, tomatoe and beetroot seem to be ok in small doses. Would like to expand my vegetable selection.Many thanksiloveshoes

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
For beans and lentils do you cook them yourself or do canned?If you cook them from dried try boiling them for a few minutes and then letting them soak in that water over night. Then drain off and rinse and cook in fresh water then next day. A lot of the indigestible sugars will come out in that soak and so there will be less gas from them.Cabbage (as well as broccoli and other cabbage family veggies) have some of the same indigestible sugars so you may need to avoid or limit that family as well.http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T042600.asp#T042601 has a list of fruits that are easier on the system (less gassy) and some things liek apples and pears you may be able to eat if they are cooked first which gets rid of most of the sorbitol.You might look over the fructose restriced diet information here http://john.toebes.com/diet.htmlTry adding veggies and fruits low in fructose and see if you tolerate those. Then see if you tolerate the some fructose veggies. It could be you have some issue with fructose so need to limit the amount of that per meal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts