Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi allI've just been released from hospital after spending a week under their care. I was admitted last thursday. It was a total nightmare. I was on an admissions unit for 36 hours then transferred to a gastro wrad for the remainder. My appetite is still appalling and the nausea is also still pretty constant. The GI consultant has ordered a HIDA scan on my gallbladder and also a further test for gastro-paresis.The Dr reckons i'm better off out of hospital as the food is so bad in that place and at least at home i may eat something (at least i'm not dehydrated). Some days i can manage small amounts of food and a couple of fortisips. The HIDA scan isn't scheduled for another 5 weeks.I also saw a psychiatrist whilst in hospital and she said i was definately suffering from anxiety but it came as no suprise after suffering with these symptoms for so long. I am now on prozac and temazepam to try and help me sleep...........fingers crossed for the next five weeks

·
Registered
162 Posts
awh mate that sounds awful! i can relate..although i get hungry but its for only certain foods, my stomach seems to go hard alot after i eat bread and i always seem to feel sick after! i deffo wouldnt recommend hospital food it is god awful! have you tried soups? maybe stir frys? with veg n bits of chicken, or noodles? have you lost much weight? i bet that is a worry in its self, i worry because im only diddy, my appetite hasnt been right for a while now but im snackin alot and eatin what i fancy for dinner, but it does worry me sometimes i just dnt feel hungry, other times i can be very hungry! the pills im on i was told byu dr should sort my bowels n bring my appetite back, been on them for about 2 weeksit has helped to a degree but not braught back all of my appetite and i will eat n still feel nauseas some days

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've lost a stack of weight since this all began over a year ago....10kg in total and i'm only slim to start with! I honestly think i'll end up back in hospital before the test which is due in 5 weeks........i can't carry on losing weight like this.

·
Registered
162 Posts
cant they put you on a feed tube and to which you use over night i heard they are 1500 calories in one night every night and it will increase your appetite! i only know this because my friend is severly ill with cystic fybrosis and they had problems gaining weight an they needed a healthy weight to have and be on the transplant list, so in the end they asked for a feeding tube. im not sure if they give them out willy nilly but surely if you cannot eat and your trying its hardly your fault, may i ask are you male or female n how tall are you? x

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it's called a naso gastric feed. I suppose next time i go in i may end up on one but i think my weight would have to be much lower. I am male and 1.77m (5"10).I can eat small amounts and i think if i'm eating small amounts plus fortisip drinks they would be reluctant to put me on an NG feed.

·
Registered
162 Posts
yeh i suppose! whats fortisip? is it a weight gain thingy? im female 5ft3" 6stone 1 pound lol! i eat a little n often although i worked out ive lost about 2 pounds i swear it looks more to me because im already tiny, i wouldnt mind tryin a weight gain shake. always wanted to gain weight always had trouble even before i got ill i was no more than 6stone 3

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm on nutritional shakes called fortisip (when i can manage to take them!) they have 300cals in just 200mls so they are very good for people who have difficulty eating. They can be prescribed by your GP (come in different flavours as well)

·
Registered
162 Posts
oo could be an idea...i could see my drinking more than 2 a day though lol, i do get hungry but its not for alot, just small things, like im really liking chicken n noodles, cereal, yoghurts, crackers,biscuits,stir fry, curry, soup and a few other things, but still not my normal way of eating...i just dont feel the way i used to, and going to the loo is hard, i get blocked up fast, i swear my bowels process my food too fast or something and then wheni try n go loo sometimes i cant

·
Community Manager
13,183 Posts
HI Riddick good to hear from you-- but sorry to hear you've been in such hospital hell...and that you have to wait five weeks for the hida scan----really, that's ridiculous--especially for someone in your condition! i hope prozac and temazepam are helping. but yes your weight is a huge concern. sure wish the docs could help you with that and your appetite and nausea. you must feel miserable.take care--hope you start to feel better soon...wish they would speed up those tests for you.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i'll just end up back in hospital if i don't start eating over the next couple of days. The prozac will by all accounts take about 3-4 weeks to kick in. My weight is already low but the consultant didn't seem too bothered as i'm well hydrated.The HIDA scan is too far away with my symptoms like this...5 weeks will feel like 5 years. I think anxiety is playing a major part in these symptoms though now as i generally sleep ok if i go to bed when i am tired.

·
Community Manager
13,183 Posts
yes the hida scan is way too far away for someone in your condition---seems like they should be able to rush it along for critical cases such as yours but then i don't know much about health care and insurance in the uk. are you on the national health--is that the probelm?? or i seem to remember you went and got private insurance--not sure i'm remembering this correctly though...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My private insurance doesn't cover it (doesn't cover pre-existing conditions).The NHS is notoriously slow at getting tests done. The way i feel at the momet i'm pretty sure i'll end up back in hospital before the weekend is finished.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How weird is my nausea? It always subsides at night time...i've just had some weetabix!Wondering if i've got some sort of chronic idiopathic nausea going on

·
Registered
88 Posts
When my digestion finally collapsed two years ago after years of digestive issues and IBS, I could hardly eat anything. I had realised that gluten may be an issue, and dairy, as I knew I was intolerant of that anyway, so I dropped them both from my diet. Within hours the raging D had stopped and the pain had subsided.But I still could eat hardly anything without getting a reaction. Carbs had been an issue for me for years and they still were so I realised I had to dump them too.A few weeks later I discovered the Specific Carbohydrate Diet which removes grains, starches, sugar and dairy from the diet and focuses on meat, fish, poultry, eggs, fruit, vegetables, nuts, a little honey (preferably raw) and good plain probiotic yogurt.Although there were even some of the 'allowed' foods I couldn't cope with like eggs, nuts and meat, gradually as a result of the diet my digestion began to improve and is much better now, although I still follow the diet generally.What I have recently realised is that for a very long time I have been struggling with underlying dehydration. Not immediate dehydration that manifests in the color of the urine, but a gradual and insidious whittling away of my hydration 'bank'.That is why I can't digest most carbs and starches properly - anything that is sugar or that turns to sugar in the body (even the sugars in dairy were an issue - dairy always bunged me up). They need a lot of water for digestion. Without enough water the body can't make enough stomach acid, or enough bicarbonate to neutralise the acid, or give the food enough liquid to help it through the gut properly (hence constipation). Without enough water the body can't complete certain processes and it is impacted at cellular level. It could potentially be the cause of any number of different health issues. Without enough water, the body can't work properly. We are about 75% water. If that falls to 74.99% we are in deficit..........I actually think that the IBS-D was an end result of the dehydration - when it had got so bad that instead of attempting to digest the food, my body just used what water it could get hold of to transport the food through and out the other end as quickly as possible. No wonder the loo was always full of undigested food!Tea and coffee - both of which I used to drink but gradually became unable to cope with, are diuretic. Alcohol, another substance I had to give up on years ago, is dehydrating. Juices and squashes - anything containing sugar or sweeteners and chemicals, are dehydrating (I can't quite understand why rehydrating drinks often contain sugar or sweeteners - surely that is counter-productive??).So not only was I eating dehydrating foods, I was also drinking dehydrating drinks! No wonder I was in such a mess!Over the last month I have gradually been rehydrating. It is a slow process - drinking too much water doesn't make it work any faster and could be dangerous. I also take a little pure unrefined sea or rock salt to keep my electrolytes topped up. Interestingly though, now I am drinking the water, my thirst mechanism has kicked back in properly. I never could understand why unlike with other drinks, drinking water left me feeling so thirsty - now I understand that my body was begging me for more!PS. I had an ultrasound the other day - I am 52 with NO gallstones! But then I also eat a decent amount of fats. That keeps the gallbladder on its toes and keeps it flushed through. I am sure that the current trend in low-fat diets is at least partly to blame for the rise in gallbladder problems! After all, if we weren't designed to eat fats, we wouldn't have a gallbladder in the first place!

·
Registered
88 Posts
How weird is my nausea? It always subsides at night time...i've just had some weetabix!Wondering if i've got some sort of chronic idiopathic nausea going on
This is not something that many people really want to contemplate, and neither is it something that the Medical Profession takes very seriously and tends to be quite unfathomably dismissive of, but I also think that gut bugs are an issue for a lot of us.Certainly many have issues with Candida and yeasts - until I changed my diet I was a walking fungus-factory, but there are thousands of pathogenic microbes and parasites out there. Whilst my health has improved a lot with the SCD and the hydration I am convinced I am battling with some elusive unwanted beasties down there, and they may well have been with me for a long time.I believe this is a bigger issue than most people realise. We tend to associate parasites with third-World countries, but our World is so cosmopolitan these days that many of the parasites come to us! The advent of public toilets may give us more than just somewhere to relieve ourselves! Besides, we also have plenty of home-grown ones to worry about.Whilst our forebears would regularly take 'de-worming' preparations years ago - they realised how easy it is to pick them up (and you don't have to be dirty either!), we never consider it of any importance now. The irony is that we are far more likely to 'de-worm' our pets than we are ourselves!Whilst some give evidence they are there, like pinworms/threadworms for instance, many don't - that's the whole point of a parasite - they live quietly, feeding off us and our food until they start to become an issue the body can no longer cope with.I may be totally on the wrong track, but the fact that you had a Weetabix and the nausea went away, makes me suspicious. Apparently they tend to feed at night so maybe whilst they are feeding they are not producing toxins that could be contributing to the nausea? Have you been checked for Helicobacter? That sometimes needs more than one test before it shows up.This is a really gross subject - I can actually feel mine moving! I have tried to get my Doctor to listen, but whilst she is somewhat sympathetic, without any 'proof' she is powerless to do anything. These little beggars are proving to be very elusive and it is pretty frustrating. I am throwing garlic down my throat like there's no tomorrow, and other stuff too - my husband has lost his sense of smell but even he can smell the garlic trail I leave behind me!I don't know if this is a topic that has ever been discussed on here at all, but if it hasn't then it jolly well should be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I have been diagnosed with IBS and also have acid reflux disease.I am on Kapidex for the acid reflux which seems to work wellI am also on Librax for the IBSWhen I get ready to go on a trip my IBS kicks in big timeMost of the time I end up not going on the trip cause I get so sick which I hate cause I love going on tripsI was told that stress is a big issue but I need advice as to what I might do to along with taking the medsSheila

1 - 17 of 17 Posts