Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my ongoing symptoms is marked lower abdominal bloating.Unlike other posts I've read here, it's not from gas.It seems to be caused by a sensitivity in my abdominal lining pushing away from my troublesome intestines(hope I expained that correctly).Any suggestions what to do in this case???

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well if something reduces the pain that can help some as you don't need to relax the gut when it isn't in pain from being pushed on by the abdominal wall.Some people find digestive enzymes with pancreatin helps with post meal bloat. Has to be pancreatin, not the all vegetarian fruit based ones. You are using them as a signal, not so much to digest food. For some reason humans don't usually have signal receptors for the plant ones.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Thanks for that response Kathleen. I may give those a try as well since bloating is my primary symptom and I generally pass very little gas (or even feel the need to). I don't have any abdominal pain though... is pain more typical for this type of bloating, or not necessarily? Also, as I've stated before, carbohydrates (anything from simple sugars to bread, pasta, etc) seem to cause most of my bloating issues. Is there a specific digestive enzyme that you know of that would work better for dealing with carbs?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Pain can be there or not be there for any of the bloating causes (post eating, gas) or may be the cause of the distension (taking pressure off the painful colon).If carbs are part of the bloating usually that is gas, but you say you don't fart at all (athough some gas comes out in the breath) so I don't know how to deal with that as usually you reduce gas when it is gas.But you could have that post eating thing although that typcially is more a fat response than a carb one, but it isn't that well defined.No enzymes really digest all the carbs no human digests but if you aren't getting farts and gas from them then I don't know that breaking them down better will do much as you aren't getting a lot of gas anyway. Beano claims to break down some of the sugars humans do not digest but that may not help with pasta and bread.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hmmmm... thanks again.I guess I'll wait and speak with my doctor about this. Doesn't really sound like enzymes would help me right now. Guess I'll just keep trying to avoid carbs (which is HARD to do!).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.