Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I had a Pyeloplasty (kidney rebuilt) done many years ago and have always wondered if it's a factor with my abdominal pain. One GI doc suggested possible scarring/binding to the outside of the gut.

As such I want to get the *outside* of my gut - the abdominal cavity (I think) - examined. Which type of doctor should I see? I have no idea.

Many thanks, Pete

·
Community Manager
13,221 Posts
it sounds like your doctor was referring to adhesions caused by the surgery.

a CT scan will show if organs are being kinked or twisted by adhesions. talk to your gastro doc about this. he may be able to order a CT scan for you to verify it. if he doesn't, then either go back to the surgeon who preformed the pyeloplasty or if that's not possible, have your gastro refer you to another surgeon.

i have adhesions from my hemicolectomy which was open abdominal surgery. i get a pulling sensation from them as well as pain. we have another discussion about abdominal adhesions going on right now here on the board if you're interested and haven't already seen it. it's quite informative.

http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/topic/155842-adhesions-after-abdominal-surgery/

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Annie, thanks for the link, I just read it. Unfortunately adhesions sound a lot like IBS - there's no effective treatment.

I can't realistically go back to my pyeloplasty doc, I don't even know if he's still practicing. And it was an abdominal CT scan that spurred my current GI doc to do the colonoscopy (which showed nothing wrong) I just had. Talk about depressing.

·
Community Manager
13,221 Posts
so it sounds like your CT scan did not show any organs being kinked up or twisted by adhesions?

if it didn't, then that's a good thing..

sorry you're so depressed. yes, it's hard when one is looking for answers and not finding any. although, to me at least, it's worse if one finds an answer--like adhesions for example--that nothing really positive can be done about.

you do have my empathy..........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.