Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started going to aerobics and almost DIED at the end of class when we had to get on our backs and start ab crunches for what seemed like eternity...I really thought I was going to have to make a run for the nearest potty! ANyone else have this dilemma!? Any suggestions...I find enough excuses not to go to aerobics, so I don't want this to be another

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Cher, I'm sorry to have to say this to you, but abdominal crunches, I understand, are NOT supposed to be the way to go for IBS (no pun intended!) That is, they work for C cases, and definitely exacerabe IBS-D. Sorry! Had to give em up myself!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
persistance,I guess there IS an excuse for a flabby belly, huh?!Actually, I don't think I've done a stomach crunch in years, and I WAS feeling perfectly well gut-wise at the class that day, until the crunch!...I guess i'll need to get a doctors note to excuse me from the end of class!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Speaking as a C, crunches don't do wonders for us either! I'm lucky I can get exercise shorts over by distended belly!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Yikes is right! The pain! The agony! ugh! I hate em, they hurt, but I do 'em. For some reason it seems to help my back pain. Kills my belly, though, ouch! Luckily they don't trigger D or anything in me anymore, I guess my body got used to it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi. A few months ago I was seeing a physical therapist for a back injury and she got me hooked on some of the Pilates exercises. These are exercises that dancers use to strengthen and balance the trunk of the body. One of them has you lay on your back with your knees up, put your arms out in front of you and clasp your hands, then slowly lower and raise your arms above your head. As you do this you press the small of your back as firmly against the floor as possible. When you get to the point that your abdominal muscles handle this well for 10 minutes, you can then move alternate legs in and out along with the arm movements (for example as your arms go up straighten a leg out, as your arms come down bend the leg back in). You can make things harder after that by lengthening your time or holding soup cans in your hands. I've found that my stomach will handle these much better than regular crunches and my abs have never looked flatter.Laurab

·
Registered
38 Posts
He guys, I don't agree with you. Even as a D-type I think it's good to spend more effort on exercise. I do fitness-workouts and even 50 or so AB-crunches twice a week. Just take your time, go to the toilet beforehand, do the exercises slowly and in your own time. Exercise and a healthy lifestyle do more for your IBS-problem than all the medicins you can think of together. I started doing exercise when I was a C-type but even now as a D it does me good.------------------Pepe from Holland sends regards

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I seem to be the odd one here....but when I started doing them it was terrible but after the muscles got stronger....when the external gets stronger, so does the internal....I experience a lot less G and more normal BM......maybe do it it hope where you can just do a few a couple of times a day and work your way into more.....it's helped for me......you may also want to try yoga ab exercises....no crucnhes and still a great workout------------------Too young to feel this bad!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts