Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I just came from the doctor due a severe episode I experienced earlier this week. Abdominal pain is my only symptom. However, this particular attack was so severe I was ready to call 911 - but was embarrassed to do so. Now this doctor (new to me - my old one left the practice) wants me to see a neurologist to determine if what I have is Abdominal Migraines as opposed to IBS. Has anyone heard of this? I've suffered with migraine (headaches) since I was a teenager, but this is the first time I've heard of Abdominal Migraine. I'm so tired to tests and procedures that all come back normal (for which I'm grateful) that I'm starting to feel gunshy and reluctant to go through anymore. I'm at my wits end. I won't eat in a restaurant anymore for fear of doubling up in the middle of a meal. So, when my husband and I, or me and a friend, do go out, I order tea and watch the others enjoy their meal. It's depressing, but it beats not going out at all.Any help or insight on the migraine thing?Thanks to all.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
JeMarie, I am not one hundred percent positive on this, but there is a functional condition called fucntional abdominal pain syndrome and your Dr just maybe using the term abdominal migrane. It is tied in in a way to IBS.Do you also get migrane headaches.Here is some info on some of this. http://www.destinationrx.com/healthy/info....lthy_Info_id=59

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
JeMarie, I am not one hundred percent positive on this, but there is a functional condition called fucntional abdominal pain syndrome and your Dr just maybe using the term abdominal migrane. It is tied in in a way to IBS.Do you also get migrane headaches.Here is some info on some of this. http://www.destinationrx.com/healthy/info....lthy_Info_id=59

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Most of what I have heard (which isn't much) has to do with this problem in kids rather than adults.But I don't know much about it.I'll see if there are any good looking web sites.Hold on.......Found this definition
quote: Abdominal migraine: A type of migraine, in which the pain is over the upper part of the abdomen and lasts a few hours. It is most common in female children. Diagnosis is easily made because of the family history of migraine, the infrequency of the attacks, and the frequent simultaneous occurrence of headache. If it remains undiagnosed, however, the patient may be subjected to unnecessary surgery for abdominal complaints.
http://www.drlockie.com/disease/ab_migr.htm http://imigraine.net/migraine/othervar.html Talks about it in adults
quote: Very rarely true abdominal migraine occurs in adult life. In this situation there may be sudden severe abdominal pain with vomiting and even abdominal rigidity. The usual brevity of the attack or previous similar benign episodes or strong history of migraine help confirm the diagnosis.
K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Most of what I have heard (which isn't much) has to do with this problem in kids rather than adults.But I don't know much about it.I'll see if there are any good looking web sites.Hold on.......Found this definition
quote: Abdominal migraine: A type of migraine, in which the pain is over the upper part of the abdomen and lasts a few hours. It is most common in female children. Diagnosis is easily made because of the family history of migraine, the infrequency of the attacks, and the frequent simultaneous occurrence of headache. If it remains undiagnosed, however, the patient may be subjected to unnecessary surgery for abdominal complaints.
http://www.drlockie.com/disease/ab_migr.htm http://imigraine.net/migraine/othervar.html Talks about it in adults
quote: Very rarely true abdominal migraine occurs in adult life. In this situation there may be sudden severe abdominal pain with vomiting and even abdominal rigidity. The usual brevity of the attack or previous similar benign episodes or strong history of migraine help confirm the diagnosis.
K.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi,I am 14 and have been told i have IBS but only experience the abdominal pains. I have heard about abdominal migrains and have been told it occurs as:when you are young you may experience abdominal pains (abdominal migrains- as you explained) which in later years turns more into migrain of the head. I am no doctor and dont know much about ot but if you have family members who experience either only head migrains or abdominal this might be a lead to what you have. i have had all the tests done endoscopy etc. and biopsy's and they all came up clear. The doctors have settled with in been IBS and just told me to learn to manage with it and they are doing no further inverstigation of any sort.It is effecting everything i do also. I dont eat out much either and i cant do much sport, swimming and it regularly effects my schooling. I do get occasional headaches.I have been on Buscopan and Colofac- have you heard of either? They are for IBS and as they dont seem to work makes me think it isn't IBS.Good Luck . Please sent me an e-mail and I'll see if i can find more about Abdominal Migrains. angel_monz###hotmail.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi,I am 14 and have been told i have IBS but only experience the abdominal pains. I have heard about abdominal migrains and have been told it occurs as:when you are young you may experience abdominal pains (abdominal migrains- as you explained) which in later years turns more into migrain of the head. I am no doctor and dont know much about ot but if you have family members who experience either only head migrains or abdominal this might be a lead to what you have. i have had all the tests done endoscopy etc. and biopsy's and they all came up clear. The doctors have settled with in been IBS and just told me to learn to manage with it and they are doing no further inverstigation of any sort.It is effecting everything i do also. I dont eat out much either and i cant do much sport, swimming and it regularly effects my schooling. I do get occasional headaches.I have been on Buscopan and Colofac- have you heard of either? They are for IBS and as they dont seem to work makes me think it isn't IBS.Good Luck . Please sent me an e-mail and I'll see if i can find more about Abdominal Migrains. angel_monz###hotmail.com

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
JeMarie... "Has anyone heard of this? "yes. Abdominal migraine term, and the comorbity of migraine, are symptoms of provocation of a release of mediators from the immunocytes within the bowel and the circulating immuniocytes. many of them are directly active on nerve tissue, vasuclar tissue, (dilation, altereded permeability)and this symptom set (abdominal migraine and migraine headache) very often can be linked to somethin provocative in the diet.Now that may be something as simple as an exquisite chemosensitivity to foods with high peptide content, high histamine content. or other such vasocative agents, as well as sensitivity to neural-active agents.If one knows how to go about isolating the offending foods or chemicals one can achieve a high rate of symptom reduction with either of these conditions...and especially when they are comorbid...and substantially reduce their needs for medications. It is an even stronger indicator of a hidden sensitivity....often it can be chemical but seem to be food related as it may be the chemical in the food.On occassion, an actual IgE mediated allergic reaction may be causal as well. This can be easily isolated with a certain dietary and symptom logging method if it exists. It is the exception rather thn the rule, but has been seen occassionally when these two symptom sets are comorbid.I suggest this book to read as a help to you in how to understand these symptoms, how they can be triggered, and how to check and see if this is the problem:"FOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICTION AND TREATMENT", Professor Jonathan Brostoff (M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and Environmental Medicine, Kings' College, London)http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...r=2-1/102-64875 08-3420903[/URL]A couple quick clips from my files...lots more but short of time...gotta get to work at 9 am: ____________________________________: Ear Nose Throat J 1994 Apr;73(4):228-30, 235-6Neurogenic vascular headaches, food and chemical triggers.Trotsky MB.University of Nebraska College of Medicine, Lincoln.Recent evidence has demonstrated that neurogenic vascular headaches are a combination of neurological primary events and secondary vasomotor changes. The neurological events involve the hypothalamus and sensory cortex with sympathetic hypofunction and noradrenergic abnormalities. A platelet theory has been proposed but has not really been confirmed as a legitimate cause of the neurogenic vascular headaches. Food and chemicals in foods can act as a precipitating factor in the food-sensitive neurogenic vascular headache patient. In these patients evidence is now being demonstrated to confirm this, but larger patient studies are needed. The food-sensitive migraine patient and cluster headache patient must give a good history and food diary to go along with active challenges and provocative testing in order to determine the causative foods. Any concomitant allergies of inhalants or environmentals must also be treated. The treatment modalities of elimination and rotation diets or provocation neutralization may successfully control the headaches without the need for continuous medications. _________________________________ Allergy 1995;50(20 Suppl):78-81 Mechanisms in adverse reactions to food. The brain.Anderson JA.Division of Allergy & Clinical, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Michigan, USA.Specific chemical mediator release such as histamine and the prostaglandins (PG2a or PGD2) associated with headaches has been found in a few patients who were repeatedly challenged with specific foods, using DBPCFC techniques. _________________________________Acta Neurol (Napoli) 1991 Oct;13(5):448-56T cells expressing IL-2 receptor in migraine.Martelletti P.Centro Cefalee, Universita La Sapienza, Roma, Italia.We studied a group of migraine patients for circulating immune complexes, lymphocyte subpopulations, IgG4 and anti-IgG antibodies, before, after 4 hours and after 72 hours a specific challenge test. We found an increased incidence of circulating immune complexes. Total T cells showed a marked increase after challenge test. The most important finding was the presence of T-activated cells. Also K and NK cells showed an early increase after the challenge. In commenting the outcomes of this investigation, it must be stressed that the evidence of an early lymphocyte activation after the challenge test indicates an involvement of interleukin-2 related receptor in food-induced migraine. The results have reinforced the idea of immune mechanism involvement in food-induced migraine, but it seems to be localized at different step from that until now hypothesized, with the involvement of the complex cytokines network. __________________________ Int J Clin Pract 2001 Dec;55(10):684-9 Related Articles, Books, LinkOut Migraine: assessment and management.Dowson AJ.King's Headache Service, London, UK.Headaches occur at some time in the vast majority of the population. For most people headaches are a nuisance but for some they can be disabling. Two per cent of the population at any time have chronic daily headache, with or without analgesic dependence, but most disabling headaches are intermittent and migranous in nature. Before hoping to make an appropriate intervention, an accurate diagnosis must be made.The first part of this paper examines the differential diagnosis and in particular separates benign from sinister, acute from chronic and tension-type from migranous. The second half focuses on the management of migraine. An individualised approach is usually the most effective, with the patient drawing from the broad areas of attention to trigger factors and lifestyle, finding an acute or rescue medication that consistently returns them to normal activities within a few hours, and prophylaxis to reduce the rate of attack by 50% in those with high frequency migraine. The expession of migraine may well vary during an individual's life and in order to achieve the best lifelong control, adjustment of the blend of management options may be needed. The aim of the adviser is to enable patients to feel in control of their migraine rather than feeling that migraine controls them. _____________________________Eat well. Think well. be well.MNL

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
JeMarie... "Has anyone heard of this? "yes. Abdominal migraine term, and the comorbity of migraine, are symptoms of provocation of a release of mediators from the immunocytes within the bowel and the circulating immuniocytes. many of them are directly active on nerve tissue, vasuclar tissue, (dilation, altereded permeability)and this symptom set (abdominal migraine and migraine headache) very often can be linked to somethin provocative in the diet.Now that may be something as simple as an exquisite chemosensitivity to foods with high peptide content, high histamine content. or other such vasocative agents, as well as sensitivity to neural-active agents.If one knows how to go about isolating the offending foods or chemicals one can achieve a high rate of symptom reduction with either of these conditions...and especially when they are comorbid...and substantially reduce their needs for medications. It is an even stronger indicator of a hidden sensitivity....often it can be chemical but seem to be food related as it may be the chemical in the food.On occassion, an actual IgE mediated allergic reaction may be causal as well. This can be easily isolated with a certain dietary and symptom logging method if it exists. It is the exception rather thn the rule, but has been seen occassionally when these two symptom sets are comorbid.I suggest this book to read as a help to you in how to understand these symptoms, how they can be triggered, and how to check and see if this is the problem:"FOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICTION AND TREATMENT", Professor Jonathan Brostoff (M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and Environmental Medicine, Kings' College, London)http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...r=2-1/102-64875 08-3420903[/URL]A couple quick clips from my files...lots more but short of time...gotta get to work at 9 am: ____________________________________: Ear Nose Throat J 1994 Apr;73(4):228-30, 235-6Neurogenic vascular headaches, food and chemical triggers.Trotsky MB.University of Nebraska College of Medicine, Lincoln.Recent evidence has demonstrated that neurogenic vascular headaches are a combination of neurological primary events and secondary vasomotor changes. The neurological events involve the hypothalamus and sensory cortex with sympathetic hypofunction and noradrenergic abnormalities. A platelet theory has been proposed but has not really been confirmed as a legitimate cause of the neurogenic vascular headaches. Food and chemicals in foods can act as a precipitating factor in the food-sensitive neurogenic vascular headache patient. In these patients evidence is now being demonstrated to confirm this, but larger patient studies are needed. The food-sensitive migraine patient and cluster headache patient must give a good history and food diary to go along with active challenges and provocative testing in order to determine the causative foods. Any concomitant allergies of inhalants or environmentals must also be treated. The treatment modalities of elimination and rotation diets or provocation neutralization may successfully control the headaches without the need for continuous medications. _________________________________ Allergy 1995;50(20 Suppl):78-81 Mechanisms in adverse reactions to food. The brain.Anderson JA.Division of Allergy & Clinical, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Michigan, USA.Specific chemical mediator release such as histamine and the prostaglandins (PG2a or PGD2) associated with headaches has been found in a few patients who were repeatedly challenged with specific foods, using DBPCFC techniques. _________________________________Acta Neurol (Napoli) 1991 Oct;13(5):448-56T cells expressing IL-2 receptor in migraine.Martelletti P.Centro Cefalee, Universita La Sapienza, Roma, Italia.We studied a group of migraine patients for circulating immune complexes, lymphocyte subpopulations, IgG4 and anti-IgG antibodies, before, after 4 hours and after 72 hours a specific challenge test. We found an increased incidence of circulating immune complexes. Total T cells showed a marked increase after challenge test. The most important finding was the presence of T-activated cells. Also K and NK cells showed an early increase after the challenge. In commenting the outcomes of this investigation, it must be stressed that the evidence of an early lymphocyte activation after the challenge test indicates an involvement of interleukin-2 related receptor in food-induced migraine. The results have reinforced the idea of immune mechanism involvement in food-induced migraine, but it seems to be localized at different step from that until now hypothesized, with the involvement of the complex cytokines network. __________________________ Int J Clin Pract 2001 Dec;55(10):684-9 Related Articles, Books, LinkOut Migraine: assessment and management.Dowson AJ.King's Headache Service, London, UK.Headaches occur at some time in the vast majority of the population. For most people headaches are a nuisance but for some they can be disabling. Two per cent of the population at any time have chronic daily headache, with or without analgesic dependence, but most disabling headaches are intermittent and migranous in nature. Before hoping to make an appropriate intervention, an accurate diagnosis must be made.The first part of this paper examines the differential diagnosis and in particular separates benign from sinister, acute from chronic and tension-type from migranous. The second half focuses on the management of migraine. An individualised approach is usually the most effective, with the patient drawing from the broad areas of attention to trigger factors and lifestyle, finding an acute or rescue medication that consistently returns them to normal activities within a few hours, and prophylaxis to reduce the rate of attack by 50% in those with high frequency migraine. The expession of migraine may well vary during an individual's life and in order to achieve the best lifelong control, adjustment of the blend of management options may be needed. The aim of the adviser is to enable patients to feel in control of their migraine rather than feeling that migraine controls them. _____________________________Eat well. Think well. be well.MNL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.