Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello folks - first post, long time IBS sufferer. My primary issue is that, usually around 2 in the AM, I'm woken with abdominal pain just below the belly button that is relieved through multiple BMs. It usually wakes me at 2am, I go, then again at 2:30am, I go, then again at 3am, and I go, and then it's over. This used to happen only once every other month - now it's once a week. Anyone else had that? My doctor recommended metamucil, which I haven't taken as frequently as directed, but I'd like to know if that's helped others here. I also used to think it was the following foods that caused it: fatty foods, dairy, alcohol. Now it seems to happen regardless. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Pain that wakes you up at night is less common (not impossible, just less common) than what you see in other GI illnesses (especially GERD as acid reflux is easier to reflux when you lay down).Have you tried taking Imodium at bed time to see if that controls this overnight? May not, but may be worth a shot.If you have a lot of watery diarrhea at night you may need to be checked for microscopic colitis as it tends to cause nocturnal diarrhea that is watery (more than diarrhea during the day).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pain that wakes you up at night is less common (not impossible, just less common) than what you see in other GI illnesses (especially GERD as acid reflux is easier to reflux when you lay down).Have you tried taking Imodium at bed time to see if that controls this overnight? May not, but may be worth a shot.If you have a lot of watery diarrhea at night you may need to be checked for microscopic colitis as it tends to cause nocturnal diarrhea that is watery (more than diarrhea during the day).
Thank you very much for your response!In my limited experience with Immodium it basically delays and intensifies later pain for me. I'm going off of gut instinct here (pardon the pun), but it feels like my system at night is telling me that it needs to pain me into going. The cramping usually comes before I can do anything about it, and it usually constipating. The first time I go I need to push hard for a while - maybe this is my systems way of getting rid of that. It can be pretty painful just below my belly button, but not to the touch. There's also lots of gurgling from down under. Like I said it happens around once a week. I wish I could find someone else with this issue. I usually go every morning on normal days, and once again later. I'm trying to track if it happens more often on days where I don't have a second BM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.