Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working as a customer service representative in an office setting for about a year now. I've had IBS symptoms for years but it wasn't until November 2009 that my symptoms got so bad that I started going to the doctor. He diagnosed me with IBS-C and told me to take Metamucil daily as part of my treatment plan.For a little while I was doing great but lately whenever I work the late shift on Thursday nights, I am plagued with severe abdominal pain. It's so bad I've been sent home early and I can't even stand up. The only position I'm comfortable being in is laying down. The pain has actually had me in tears once.. With my job, it's very low stress which is why I like it but I have to sit down for long periods of time. I like to wear the most comfortable clothing as possible to limit the pressure it puts on my gut. I usually wear comfy old jeans that are a size too large, or leggings with a skirt. We have a dress code so I'm not allowed to wear athletic type pants or sweats. The pain started getting really bad a few weeks ago.. And I actually cut back on my hours because of it. However, this also means less money.For some reason, the pain gets really bad during long night shifts. When I work the long day shift I get uncomfortable bloating usually, but not the severe abdominal pain that I get at nighttime. I've tried everything! I've even gone so far as to not eat anything except for a banana or something easily digestible on my break. I tried getting up frequently, stretching.. nothing works.Does anyone have any advice for me?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well the physical stress of changing work shifts seems to make IBS worsehttp://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?s...=118629&hl= is a recent news article about that.Have you tried peppermint or going back to the doctor for antispasmodics or low dose antidepressants as a lot of doctors will actually prescribe something other than just fiber for most patients. If yours won't, find a new doctor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply :(I actually haven't tried peppermint.. But I do take antidepressants. I take 20mg of Prozac. Should I drink peppermint tea? I hear that works.I'm going to check out that link too

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
A lot of people like peppermint tea. I find Altoids (that are easy to get around here) have enough peppermint oil in them to help. 2-3 usually is enough to have some effect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts