Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Haven't been diagnosed with IBS, but have experienced a history of symptoms that I have under control for the most part.I'm 24, a grad student and probably don't deal with anxiety as well as I should. The issues with digestion started back when I was 15 or 16. At the time it was very difficult to eat a full meal. Eating made me very nauseous and my parents worried. I eventually got over it, but then noticed a new issue. When very upset emotionally I would end up with terrible abdominal pain. Once I had calmed down I would end up burping all this air out again and feel better after 45-60mins. These days I don't have panic attacks anymore and other than the usual ups and downs I am generally pretty okay emotionally. And of course, I'm at my best when I exercise regularly or do yoga.The current issue is this (going on for a few years now!): I find that if I don't eat something (even a small snack like fruit or granola bar) every 3-4 hours I get terrible abdominal pain. Today I completely forgot my afternoon snack because I took a short nap and slept right through until I had yoga class. I started to notice some discomfort but went through the class because I didn't want to have to miss it to eat a granola bar!! Haha. So after yoga class I had some serious discomfort around the mid to lower abdomen (mostly on one side), drank a lot of water, burped a lot and felt better (other than some light gassyness later on, but nothing too bad).I feel silly because the obvious solution is to have a snack every day around 3-4pm (lunch being around noonish) and drink more water. I even set an alarm on my cell phone to remind me! Without a snack the pain comes on like clockwork. I still can't eat a lot at one sitting.... not because of nausea but because I just feel full. May be it is my body's way of telling me I need more food? Empty stomach causing me to swallow air?And well, it isn't all bad - I keep reading that it is healthier to eat lots of small meals rather than 2 or 3 large ones, it is just annoying to do so! I wonder if fasting over a weekend might help reset things? No idea, I should probably see a doctor (no health insurance though... ugh).Anyone else experience similar kind of tummy issues? Abdominal pain on empty stomach, followed by burping and relief after drinking water or eating?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Have you been to a Dr about this or had any GI tests done?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I get pains n burping and errr below gas LOL After eating ALOT of the time, it can be most embarressing!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had IBS with constipation forever.I too experience abdominal pain with bloating when I do not eat consistently. The longer I go the worse the pain and bloat become and the harder for the symptoms to subside. I try to eat regularly and always have something in my stomach but sometimes you are tied up or forget and then pay for it later.I always try to have a snack with me and in desk so I can grab something quick.My MD is aware of this but didn't think too much about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts