Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming from a large Irish-American family, I would be an expert on family dysfunction even without my doctoral degree. I know first-hand how outside stressors can disrupt family harmony. From my training, I know that studies have been done which not only look at the effect that an illness can have on family life, but how family life can affect the severity of an illness.

I have had the great fortune to be in touch with two individuals who have devoted their careers toward understanding and treating the functional gastrointestinal disorders, particularly IBS. Drs. Mary-Joan and Charles Gerson are a husband and wife gastroenterologist/psychologist team who practice in New York City. They graciously agreed to share their experience in the area of IBS and family relationships with me so that I could share it with you. In the following interview, you will see that in addition to explaining their research findings, they offer practical suggestions to help you and your family cope with your IBS in the healthiest way possible:

To learn more about the work of the two Drs. Gerson:

Do you think your family helps or hurts your IBS? Share your experience and find out how family life is for other IBS sufferers:

IBS and Families originally appeared on About.com Irritable Bowel Syndrome on Sunday, November 1st, 2009 at 09:39:11.

Permalink | Comment | Email this

View the full article

1 - 1 of 1 Posts