Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My good friend, Jeffrey Roberts, president and founder of the IBS Self Help and Support Group issued the following press statement today "Disparaging IBS remarks on Senate floor by Senator John McCain furthers misunderstanding of the value of IBS research":

"During marathon sessions to debate Health Reform, Senator John McCain (R-AZ) on Saturday December 12, 2009 and Sunday December 13, 2009 identified IBS as an illness unworthy of receiving funds for research. Senator McCain's December 12, 2009 comment, "$665,000 for, I'm not making this one up, for the Cedar Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles California for equipment and supplies for the institute for Irritable Bowel Syndrome research. <pause> Now, I have a lot of comments on them on that issue, but I'll just pass so not to violate the rules of the Senate.", demonstrates contempt for the real pain and suffering felt by the millions of IBS sufferers across the nation. On December 13, 2009 Senator McCain repeated, "Another one that I have been unable to describe adequately without violating the rules of the Senate. $665,000 for Cedar Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles California for equipment and supplies for the Institute for Irritable Bowel Syndrome Research. The only thing I can say is that problem will not be reduced when people read this legislation, so there may be a need for it. The list goes on and on, it is crazy stuff."

I love Jeffrey's perspective: "IBS isn't an illness that deserves potshots on the Senate floor to make a point with respect to Health Reform. It just perpetuates the myth that IBS is not a serious issue for millions of people who are desperately looking towards research and drug development to ease their suffering." I couldn't agree more. Why pick on IBS? Obviously Senator McCain is ignorant about the level of suffering that IBS patients experience. I have my IBS Hall of Fame - Senator John McCain is now an inductee into my IBS Hall of Shame.

What do you think about Senator McCain's comments? What would you like him to know about what life is like when you have IBS? Please leave a comment below or on the IBS discussion forum.

Shame on McCain originally appeared on About.com Irritable Bowel Syndrome on Monday, December 14th, 2009 at 17:03:09.

Permalink | Comment | Email this

View the full article

1 - 1 of 1 Posts