Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doc has put me on a lactose free diet.. just to rule this out.However, he says I can have butter and yoghurt. How is this? Aren'tthey made from milk?? Of course they are! don't get it. Any answers. (He's gone today.. so I'm asking you guys!)Thanks, Libbys

G

·
Lactose is an enzyme found in milk. I know butter (a by-product of milk fat) is lactose free, and yogurt must also be.

G

·
quote:Originally posted by Libbys:My doc has put me on a lactose free diet.. just to rule this out.However, he says I can have butter and yoghurt. How is this? Aren'tthey made from milk?? Of course they are! don't get it. Any answers. (He's gone today.. so I'm asking you guys!)Thanks, Libbys
In the book, "The Self-Help Way to Treat Colitis and other IBS Conditions" by DeLamar Gibbons, M.D. It says, "Not all products made from milk contain lactose. In the production of many milk products, the lactose is removed. Those who are intolerant of milk need not avoid cheese, butter, or cottage cheese. In the production of butter, the water soluble lactose remains in the butter-milk residue after the butter fat is removed. The lactose remaining in the butter is negligible and those with IBS or lactose intolerance have no problems eating butter...In yogurt production, the fermentation process is allowed to go on the convert as much of the lactose as possible to lactic acid. Hence the strong acid flavor of yogurt. Both of these products are usually tolerated by those who are lactose intolerant, even though yogurt contains some lactose." ~~Yogurt is suppose to be good for the IBS problem if you get the kind that lists "live culture" because of the natural acidophilus that is in it. Acidophilus is "friendly bacteria" that is necessary for the digestion of foods and the prevention of many disorders.[This message has been edited by doctor mom (edited 05-10-2000).][This message has been edited by doctor mom (edited 05-10-2000).] (Can't seem to type this time without alot of errors!)[This message has been edited by doctor mom (edited 05-11-2000).]

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've been told that yogurt digests itself. Although I've had issues with yogurt occasionally...but then, I'm not lactose intolerant, I'm Dairy intolerant! (ha)I also know (although I can't remember where I found it) that aged cheeses like Cheddar have low or very little lactose. But that's for OLD cheddar. Not mild or medium. But if the doctor says no cheese, then no cheese.Rhetana

1 - 4 of 4 Posts