Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I�d give this angry�s #2. Empirically tested using valid methods, no supporting causality

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I�d give this angry�s #2. Empirically tested using valid methods, no supporting causality

·
Registered
37 Posts
On advice from another IBS sufferer, I went to an accupuncturist who said he thought he could help me, but after over $1000.00 worth of treatments nothing changed. I would be interested in knowing if anyone has been helped by this method also.

·
Registered
37 Posts
On advice from another IBS sufferer, I went to an accupuncturist who said he thought he could help me, but after over $1000.00 worth of treatments nothing changed. I would be interested in knowing if anyone has been helped by this method also.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I definitely don't think acupuncture can do too much for digestive problems in general.It aims to increase the chi or energy in the meridians governing the body. It may help in reducing pain and inflammation but will not be able to point to the cause(s) of any problem and certainly not eliminate them.At most it would only be useful at the very end, once causes have been found and eliminated for digestive problems, to increase general well being.ScottySwotty

·
Registered
927 Posts
I definitely don't think acupuncture can do too much for digestive problems in general.It aims to increase the chi or energy in the meridians governing the body. It may help in reducing pain and inflammation but will not be able to point to the cause(s) of any problem and certainly not eliminate them.At most it would only be useful at the very end, once causes have been found and eliminated for digestive problems, to increase general well being.ScottySwotty

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am taking a homeopathic remedy - Tabacum - (as it is called) that has really helped me with the diarrhea. I believe our bodies are off balance which is why we go from diarrhea to constipation.If you think it might help - I take 4-6 pellets (little tablets) four to five times a day. The strength of the remedy is 30C. You can get them at the health food store or look up homeopathic distributors in a search engine.Hope this will help you. Good luck.Anita

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am taking a homeopathic remedy - Tabacum - (as it is called) that has really helped me with the diarrhea. I believe our bodies are off balance which is why we go from diarrhea to constipation.If you think it might help - I take 4-6 pellets (little tablets) four to five times a day. The strength of the remedy is 30C. You can get them at the health food store or look up homeopathic distributors in a search engine.Hope this will help you. Good luck.Anita

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
HiI've used accupuncture for 'womens' problems & it worked. I now have Ulcerative Colitis & have had 5 sessions since the start of December. On Sunday & Monday I was ill...won't bore you with details. Had accupuncture yesterday & felt fine afterwards. The horrendous bloating & pain was gone!It does work but in my case won't cure me. I DO know someone who had IBS & accupuncture cured her.Altho' it can be costly-I pay �24.00 a weekly session, this is only the cost of a night out for me & my husband & we don't go anywhere now due to the UC. I think It's worth every penny & the practitioner listens to me moaning for about half an hour before the needles go in which is therapy in itself.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
HiI've used accupuncture for 'womens' problems & it worked. I now have Ulcerative Colitis & have had 5 sessions since the start of December. On Sunday & Monday I was ill...won't bore you with details. Had accupuncture yesterday & felt fine afterwards. The horrendous bloating & pain was gone!It does work but in my case won't cure me. I DO know someone who had IBS & accupuncture cured her.Altho' it can be costly-I pay �24.00 a weekly session, this is only the cost of a night out for me & my husband & we don't go anywhere now due to the UC. I think It's worth every penny & the practitioner listens to me moaning for about half an hour before the needles go in which is therapy in itself.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The need for causality is best illustrated by a real life example.In the long gone, go-go days of the stock market, the Dow Jones average was highly correlated to the height of the miniskirt above the knees. This correlation was extremely good. It worked for a few years.The trouble with only a correlation is that it doesn't consider cause and effect. A model for the response has to be built up including all factors one can think of. Then data is used to try and sort out which factors are important. Leave out a factor that is really important (e.g. a war, in the case of the stock market) and the conclusions are invalid for many cases. Trying to explain something as complicated as the stock market by a single factor was naive and of course destined to fail in the long run. However, some people bet their money on it! The miniskirt is back and the stock market is not doing very well today.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The need for causality is best illustrated by a real life example.In the long gone, go-go days of the stock market, the Dow Jones average was highly correlated to the height of the miniskirt above the knees. This correlation was extremely good. It worked for a few years.The trouble with only a correlation is that it doesn't consider cause and effect. A model for the response has to be built up including all factors one can think of. Then data is used to try and sort out which factors are important. Leave out a factor that is really important (e.g. a war, in the case of the stock market) and the conclusions are invalid for many cases. Trying to explain something as complicated as the stock market by a single factor was naive and of course destined to fail in the long run. However, some people bet their money on it! The miniskirt is back and the stock market is not doing very well today.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
phyllisfin, glad to here they helping you effectively.
Please do me a favor when your done and post how your doing to the CBT/HT forum for me. This is important for a lot of reasons, besides me wanting to hear about it.
Thanks

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
phyllisfin, glad to here they helping you effectively.
Please do me a favor when your done and post how your doing to the CBT/HT forum for me. This is important for a lot of reasons, besides me wanting to hear about it.
Thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
my aunt uses accupuncture for an inner ear problem and it works for her. i personally don't care if it's just a placebo affect so long as it gives her relief. i use a few accupressure massages for my face and head when i get a headache or eyestrain and it works. it has never worked for my ibs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.