Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I apologize for not going back through the older threads to try to find an answer...but I just want my throat to stop feeling so yucky!I don't usually get reflux too bad, but not too long ago, I had a bad "verp" as I call vomit burps...you know, you think you're gonna burp, but a wash of stomach acid and whatnot comes up into the back of your throat, along with the burp... And ever since then, I've had that icky kinda vomity feeling in the back of my throat, and it burns...rather uncomfortable. I'm still pretty burpy, too, but no real verps since that bad one. I've been making sure I'm sitting up straight when I burp now! I took my nighttime Pepcid a little early, but I wondered if anyone else knew of anything that might help? And did I doom myself when I drank two glasses of yummy but acidic lemonade tonight?Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! I may be an old pro at dealing with IBS-D, but not with acid reflux...

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was taking Prilosec for my reflux and like you I was having a lot of trouble! My Doc tryed me on Zantac twice a day along with the Prilosec at night and it has been like a MIRACLE!!! I know what you feel like and it is horrible! Maybe you could check this out? You can buy the Zantac over the counter! Lots of luck and hope this helps!!------------------trish

·
Registered
773 Posts
This may sound a little bit strange, but I get that burp all the time and when I get it really badly, I drink coke. The coke makes the gas come up and makes me burp, but no bile comes up with it. I ALWAYS get the reflux burps (verps as you call them), and the coke seems to stop them.Also, the coke always settles my stomach when I'm nauseous.Check out my post in this thread: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/020964.html

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hey Atp, didn't know you were a fellow suffer! I really don't have advice for ya but I do know that there are only two things that I can eat that can quell an attack or to avoid it is red meat & cheese. Anything else is pure torture. There are days I can't even keep water down. My Gerd is so so so very bad. Only 3 more weeks till my new GI appointment since I moved. 3 more weeks of pure hell to find out if the wait will be worth it. I've been down the road of OTC and prescription the latter seems to always come with major adverse reactions. I did try the new chewable Prilosec worked great for 30 minutes and I finally got the grocery store to order Prelief which is also, supposed to be very good. It comes in today looking forward to trying that. I would like to add that burping is just as bad as verping
although with burping it's just vapor but it still burns the esophagus so just like vomiting one should try to quell it and not induce it. Eh-hem, spit-tooee eh-hem excuse me

·
Registered
568 Posts
Prevacid works beautifully for me but my new insurance company won't pay for it so I have to get my doctor to write letters etc. In the mean time I take Zantac (OTC), helps but is not nearly as good. Prvacid completely eradicates all symtpoms while Zantac takes care of the "verps" I still feel yucky in that I know there is acid in there and get the pain. I have tried Prilosec but felt it aggravated the D.Hope you find something that works for you. I went years before I got the prescription and knowing what I now know of the disease, I wish I had sought help earlier. Don't fool around with this.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies!Yes, Imagica, it's not a primary complaint, usually, but I am sort of a member of the club.When I first went to my GI doc, they asked if I had reflux, heartburn, etc. I said not usually... and of course a day or two later got BAD heartburn. Which I don't get that very often, thank goodness. And there are other symptoms that I didn't realize were reflux before. And my primary care dr. thinks i have gastritis, because of the tenderness I always have in the stomach area...which my GI didn't pay much attention to, cuz he was focusing on my intestines. I have an appt to see him...in a couple of weeks...and lots of things to talk to him about!Like I said, I don't get bad reflux symptoms too often, but when I do, I really do! Or maybe I just don't notice it when teh symptoms are mild. Last night was a doozy, though!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Antacids can be a quick fix for heartburn.Magnesium containing ones like Mylanta can cause diarrhea.Calcium contining ones like Tums can cause constipation.So you may need to select them based on what other GI symptoms you have.And like anything don't go over the recommended dose.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
211 Posts
My boyfriend was having problems with this, and one of the things the doctor asked was whether he was a heavy coffee drinker or not (he was) He told him to limit himself to 2 cups max, but it would be better if he stopped.So, if you drink coffee (or alot of other caffinated bevereages like tea or colas) you may want to cut them out (or severly limit them) This may help some.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I agree with what GI Jane said. Coke helps me when I'm gassy and nauseous, and one cup of coffee a day keeps me regular. But if I drink just about any other pop or more than a cup of coffee i'm asking for troubles. These to drinks help me when drank in a controlled manner. I don't dare play with that.

G

·
Since I've gone on a salad diet, I've almost quit using Tums and having acid reflux. My neighbor has lost about 60 pounds so I thought I'd try it. I eat bacon, eggs, toast, and coffee almost every morning. For lunch I'm eating a side salad w/low-cal Italian dressing from Burger King or Wendees. For supper, I eat a side salad with some chicken. I get a rotisseried one from wherever and it lasts three to four days for two people. After about eight weeks, I realized I hadn't used any antiacid and I've lost about 12 lbs.For years, I've kept regular salted cashews around to chew and wash down with coke or seven-up when I had a bad gerd attack. That was before pepcid and zantac. But it still works, when pepcid or zantac is overwhelmed, probably because I waited too long to take it. I even think the salt helps.

G

·
My friends mother used to suffer quite bad asthma attacks - until they found out it was acid reflux flowing over into her windpipe and burning it, causing the asthma.They tried her out on the food allergy tests (weeks of different food combinations) and she found she was allergic to various things, including preserved meats, cheese and the like. Since eliminating these foods from her diet her asthma has stopped and reflux all but gone. Might be something to look into.Kylie

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
atp, my worst acid has come from fruits and juices, and yes, lemonade is one of the worst.I gave up completely on eating and drinking such things. It's not worth the pain! So I'd suggest no fruits, juices, coffee, or any tea but earl grey and cammomile. I've also found crackers work best for easing that burning pain. Drinking water usually helps also.If that doesn't work, try a sugar free diet, it's helping me a lot.Good luck

·
Registered
171 Posts
There is a very good homeopathic remedy for persistent nausea:Ipecacuanha 30X --taken as directed on the bottle. It calms the pneumogastic nerve. You can get it at most health food stores.H

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Hi. Sorry, atp.
Isn't that how it goes....You're at the doctor and things are "fine," relatively speaking, then two days later....I found that Zantac was great for me for occasional problems, or milder chronic problems. When things were really bad, Prevacid worked well for me. However, my combo. of acid reducers and inhibitors gave me horrid D (for more than a year). As it turns out, though, my acid reflux problem was probably really an H. Pylori infection in the form of gastritis. I shouldn't have been put on the other meds for so long but, instead, on the proper antibiotics for H. Pylori right away.Get checked out for H. P., if you think there's a chance you could have it. A serum test may not be good enough. Ask for a biopsy...Have you had the scope done yet? Good luck!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I finally found something that is working for me (at least for the past several days). Fresh sourdough bread. I have now gone off of all wheat and I think that was causing a lot of my nausea and reflux. Still getting bad heartburn and a little bit of reflux but the intense burning and nausea are nearly gone. Last week I thought I was going to die it hurt so bad (ok, a mild exaggeration). Antacids seemed to make me more nauseated. Then I remembered someone (I think Heather Van Vorous?) talking about sourdough bread so I bought some and ate it with broth (beef bouillion) and felt better within 15 minutes. Now I stay off the wheat of all kinds and eat at least two slices of sour dough bread a day and it strangely seems to be helping.
[This message has been edited by WD40 (edited 06-12-2001).]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.