Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often have burning, acidic D. Seems like the looser it is, the more acidic it is. Anyone know where the acid comes from? I figure it's either bile acid, stomach acid, or some kind of acid produced by bad bacteria (I heard something about this). Bile acid makes sense to me but I didn't get helped w/ cholestyramine (Questran) or calcium so maybe it's something else?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yah pretty much for me i find a major difference in my d depending on what i eat. Check some of the ingredients on the products your eating and if you find that there is alot of citric acid then maybe that might just be the culprit. I find for me too that spices usually make things alot more firey! Good luck!

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:I often have burning, acidic D
The first question is how you know it's acidic? I'm not sure that the burning sensation necessarily means the stool is too acidic.
quote:r some kind of acid produced by bad bacteria (I heard something about this).
On the other hand, it sounds like you heard backwards. It's normal for stool to be acidic to a degree. The good bacteria make acid and the acid feeds the colon. The colon requires acid to live. If the stool were indeed overly acidic and there is also diarrhea present, it could be the case there is some sort of carbohydrate malabsorption present. This could be due to say being being lactose intolerant and consuming large quantities of dairy.
quote:heck some of the ingredients on the products your eating and if you find that there is alot of citric acid
Ingredients like these do not impact the acidity of stool.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
quote:Originally posted by flux:The first question is how you know it's acidic?
Thanks for the reply Flux. Yeah, I guess I don't know it's actually acidic. It definately burns like acid, but I guess it could be something else. My docs don't seem to care about it as a symptom but it seems to me it could be an important clue, plus it really hurts sometimes so I'd like to find a way to stop it.
quote:On the other hand, it sounds like you heard backwards. It's normal for stool to be acidic to a degree.
Probably did hear wrong, I don't know, I'm so confused.
quote:If the stool were indeed overly acidic and there is also diarrhea present, it could be the case there is some sort of carbohydrate malabsorption present. This could be due to say being being lactose intolerant and consuming large quantities of dairy.
Yeah, I tried a dairy-free diet but that didn't help. Have never been able to find any connection between my diet and my IBS actually. That's why I think it's something else like a motility problem or bacterial problem. It seems like if I knew where the "acid" is coming from it might explain something. But like many of my symptoms (e.g. yellow color, sour odor) the doctors don't seem to care about it. I don't understand - if the G.I. tract is so well-known and well-studied why are symptoms like this so unexplainable? I mean couldn't they devise some kind of stool test that would analyze it and see what this burning substance is coming out of me? It shouldn't be that hard and it might give a clue as to what's happening in IBS. Instead the docs just dismiss it as not important. Well, it's important *to me* - it's ruining my life. Anyway, sorry for the rant, I'm at my wit's end with all this.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I always suspected mine was from overwiping that eventually created cracks for the bile (or whatever) to enter. The less the frequency and wiping (and the less the liquid) the less the burning. I recently underwent a period of D from Norwalk virus. During that week the burning returned about the 3rd or 4th round of the day.Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.