Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybodyI started taking acidophilus yesterday, the name of the brand i'm taking is new roots herbal (8 billion). My question is, do I have to take those pills forever or only for a certain time period t get my intestinal flora back to normal? Some people report having gas pain and bloating while taking acidophilus but I have no pain, bloat or anything so far.jo-jo

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The colonic flora is always turning over and changing so you may need to take them fairly long term.What I found with Probiotic was I needed them pretty much every day for several months and during this time skipping even a day or two made things worse.However after about 6 months I started only needing to take them a couple of times a week. I pretty much take one when I have a gassier day and that keeps things under control.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The colonic flora is always turning over and changing so you may need to take them fairly long term.What I found with Probiotic was I needed them pretty much every day for several months and during this time skipping even a day or two made things worse.However after about 6 months I started only needing to take them a couple of times a week. I pretty much take one when I have a gassier day and that keeps things under control.K.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I am afraid to stop taking it daily, but I should try it and see what happens!I have had good success with Acidophilus, Culturelle in particular. For me it has controlled intestinal gas. Culturelle is a special strain of friendly bacteria. It can withstand stomach acid (which can kill the friendly bacteria). It can be taken at any time with or without meals and is Not kept in the fridge since there is no need for this.Whatever you use, be sure it can withstand stomach acid. If it can't, do not use it with food. Also know whether it needs refrigeration or not. It is my understanding that the body may initially produce more gas with Culturelle and then gradually helps relieve this problem.It takes a few weeks to really work probably longer. I take what the label recommends, once a day for Culturelle.I can't find Culturelle in stores, it's there someplace, so I order it by phone. You can find out about it at: http://www.culturelle.com/index.html
Vikee

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I am afraid to stop taking it daily, but I should try it and see what happens!I have had good success with Acidophilus, Culturelle in particular. For me it has controlled intestinal gas. Culturelle is a special strain of friendly bacteria. It can withstand stomach acid (which can kill the friendly bacteria). It can be taken at any time with or without meals and is Not kept in the fridge since there is no need for this.Whatever you use, be sure it can withstand stomach acid. If it can't, do not use it with food. Also know whether it needs refrigeration or not. It is my understanding that the body may initially produce more gas with Culturelle and then gradually helps relieve this problem.It takes a few weeks to really work probably longer. I take what the label recommends, once a day for Culturelle.I can't find Culturelle in stores, it's there someplace, so I order it by phone. You can find out about it at: http://www.culturelle.com/index.html
Vikee

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just FYI, for anyone with a Raley's grocery store around, I found Culturelle there. It is about $11.00 for a 30 day supply. It was tough to find though, not with the regular acidophilus in the health refrigeration section. It was in the first aid area near the immodium and gas relief stuff. I haven't tried it yet. . .waiting to finish my current supply of Primadophilus, which seems to work OK and is enteric coated, but I have heard such good things about Culturelle that I thought I would give it a try. Hope you can find it!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just FYI, for anyone with a Raley's grocery store around, I found Culturelle there. It is about $11.00 for a 30 day supply. It was tough to find though, not with the regular acidophilus in the health refrigeration section. It was in the first aid area near the immodium and gas relief stuff. I haven't tried it yet. . .waiting to finish my current supply of Primadophilus, which seems to work OK and is enteric coated, but I have heard such good things about Culturelle that I thought I would give it a try. Hope you can find it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts