Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here. I am IBS G, P and occasional D. I started taking Acidophilus about 6 months ago and it has been a great help, especially with regards to G. Now my husband and I are trying to get pregnant. Does anyone know whether Acidophilus is safe to take while pregnant? I hate the thought of having to stop taking it since I feel so much better on it. I am curious and since I don't have Dr's appointment until Sept., thought I would ask here. Thanks!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I see no reason to stop taking it, but check with the OB-GYN just to be extra sure. Acidophilus is a normal resident of the colon, you are just upping the odds in it's favor. If it was causing problems then cultures that eat alot of yogurt would be in big trouble, and I know of no evidence to suggest they are having problems with pregnacy and infants that are different from cultures that do not eat alot of yogurt. They have investigated giving it to infants in poor countries to help control diarrhea and stuff that is safe for sick infants usually isn't much of a risk during pregnancy.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I see no reason to stop taking it, but check with the OB-GYN just to be extra sure. Acidophilus is a normal resident of the colon, you are just upping the odds in it's favor. If it was causing problems then cultures that eat alot of yogurt would be in big trouble, and I know of no evidence to suggest they are having problems with pregnacy and infants that are different from cultures that do not eat alot of yogurt. They have investigated giving it to infants in poor countries to help control diarrhea and stuff that is safe for sick infants usually isn't much of a risk during pregnancy.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have 3 kids (teens now) and took it with all 3 pregnancies. In the 1980's when I was having kids, probiotics weren't really known so I was more concerned about taking it. My OB read the label and said he didn't see anything harmful in it. My kids are healthy....Good Luck...

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have 3 kids (teens now) and took it with all 3 pregnancies. In the 1980's when I was having kids, probiotics weren't really known so I was more concerned about taking it. My OB read the label and said he didn't see anything harmful in it. My kids are healthy....Good Luck...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.