Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Yes, I take acidolphilus. It won't work on its own, but it can definitely help and should be added to the mix, so to speak, because it can help by getting good bacteria back into the intestinal tract.There are hundreds out there, in health food stores, some to be taken 30 minutes before breakfast, on an empty stomach, some not within 20 minutes of eating. I like to take mine at night.Flora Source is good (morning)...Nature's Biotic by Lifeline...Acidophilus DDS. KEEP IT FRESH, IN THE FRDIGE. Really important.I also take two digestive enzymes with my meals,sometimes one after. And watch what I eat.If you want more info, let me know, by email:OppOnn###aol.com

·
Registered
292 Posts
I take acidopholous when I have to take any antibiotics. It prevents D and also yeast infections because the antibiotics kill off your good bacteria as well as the bad. Its sort of like eating yoghurt but most of us can't tolerate yohurt. Good Luck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've taken acidophilus in the past(before I was diagnosed w/IBS) it helped me alot. Now I'm taking Robinul, it's cost more, has more side effects, and works about the same as acidophilus. Maybe I need to consider changing medicines.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I have had good success with Acidophilus, Culturelle in particular. For me it has controlled intestinal gas. Culturelle is a special strain of friendly bacteria. It can withstand stomach acid (which can kill the friendly bacteria). It can be taken at any time with or without meals and is Not kept in the fridge since there is no need for this.Whatever you use, be sure it can withstand stomach acid. If it can't, do not use it with food. Also know whether it needs refrigeration or not. It is my understanding that the body may initially produce more gas with Culturelle and then gradually helps relieve this problem.It takes a few weeks to really work probably longer. I take what the label recommends, once a day for Culturelle.You can find out about it at: http://www.culturelle.com/index.html

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My acidophilus label states to keep it in a cool dry place. What's this about the refrigerator. Also, it says take 2 capsules daily. I take one in the morning and one at evening. Should I just take two together?driz

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
This has been my experience. If a Probiotic says it needs to be refrigerated it is bought from a Health food store and is in the refrigerator.Some Probiotics direct you to refrigerate after opening.A few (like Culturelle) say that the pill can withstand stomach acid, can be taken anytime and needs no refrigeration. The label states this.It has been my understanding that the potency is not at a good level if the label says nothing about stomach acid and nothing about when to take the pill (usually 2 hours before and after eating... on an empty stomach) and then if it does not say to refrigerate after opening.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.