Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the BB, just wanted to ask if anyone has had success with acupuncture in treating IBS. I have had IBS-A for about 15 years. I have removed caffeine and dairy from my diet, and limit fat and alcohol which definitely helps. Keen to find a drug free way to relieve or treat symptoms and have heard acupuncture can be successful. Anyone?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
There is a gal on the BB who had it for IBS and she did say it helped. There were recently acupuncture and IBS trials at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital in Boston. A Dr Tony Lembo is a gastro there w/an interest in IBS and I believe he was running this. It was offered to me (by my gastro at another Boston Hospital who is an IBS xpert) but at the time I wouldnt have been able to consistently get back and forth between Boston and the suburb I live in. I'm sorry that I don't know the results of the trials, they may still be going on

·
Registered
25 Posts
hello all,Acupunture is wonder!!!.. with the right doctor. One day i had sever cramps from constipation and i paid a visit to a chinese acupuncture doctor. He checked my wrists and could tell by my pulse that i was in a lot of pain. he aslo told me about other problems that he could see, without me telling him anything. So i lay down on the table and he puts many, many pin into me (it didnt hurt at all, i know you are all wondering), gave all the needles a twist after about 10 minutes, left me for another 15mins and then removed them. It was like being on some wonderful drug! I felt extremely relaxed and after coming out of his office I went to the toliet... and the results where very impressive(without getting into details).the one thing i will say, is that be very carelful about the medicines that the doc. might try to sell you. I bought tablets off the doctor to help keep things moving along and they were so strong i had to go to the hospital because of the cramps. My stomach is very sensitive. I plan to go for another visit to him this week.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had it done. It helped although i dont know if it was the fact that it relaxed me and by default that made the ibs better or if it really helped with my stomach problems. The breathing exercises, and the stomach massages they teach you are pretty good. On the downside i went for awhile and found after it only worked if i continued to go every week. After not going for a few weeks i just went back to the way things were and the acupuncturist even said that that happens to some ppl. Also they open up "points", and i find when i have a bad attack, all these new places that hurt. It wasn't worth the money to me for the amount it helped. I wouldnt recommend it.Angela

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info and welcome messages!I've decided I'll give acupuncture a try. Like most of us, I'll give anything a go in the hope that it helps in some way! and it'll help me get over my fear of needles at the same time
Will post my experience, fingers crossed it's a good one like HotIrish's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.