Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Im new here and I wanted to make my first thread a usefull one (Im not sure how active I will be on here). Just some quick info...Im 20 and I have had IBS since the summer after 8th grade. I have browsed the forum and seen a lot of people suffering from similar symptoms as me. My IBS kept me out of high school, and ruined a lot of my friendships I had. I would like to let everyone know that if you can afford to do it ( meaning you have a large amount of money to invest in your health) You should try Acupuncture. I got Acupuncture 3 times a week for about 2 years, and I still get it regularly. All of the meds my docs prescribed never helped, they never made me feel completely better, they always had side effects. Acupuncture took some time to work, but was the most effective thing in treating my IBS. I have found GREAT GREAT relief from it. I got my GED and am now in college trying to straighten my life out. I think a lot of people under estimate how powerful the illness that we have is. I really think it should be called IBD because by defenition this is a disease. There was a 2 year period where I couldnt eat anything more than pasta and rice basically. I was 5.10 and weighed 100 lbs. I just wanted to let people know that Acupuncture could be your way out. I also want to urge people to look into taking probiotics, especially when on antibiotics!! Im also not talking about the POS one you get at GNC. You should be taking ones that actually have a high live culture count. http://www.customprobiotics.com These ones are good!!! If anyone has any questions about acupuncture I will be more than happy to answer them, but Im prolly not gonna stick around on here too long because I find these places depressing ( no offense) I just was hoping I could help people!

·
Registered
30 Posts
i've only just come across your post. I'm a total believer in acupunture. I started it about two months ago and go once a week. it's changed my life so far. Going from a virtual agoraphobic to applying for a new job. I can't thank my acupuncturist enough, if it continues i think i'll have to buy him a house or something! nothing could be big enough to say thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Althea:How long did it take before acupunture started to help the two of you? And what kind of symptoms did/do you both have?
It only took a couple of treatments for me to see the effects. I've had IBS-D for 10 years. In the last 4 years i've had severe anxiety, now depression and apart from going to work and going to my boyfriends i never leave the house. Very low and nearing thinking of ending it all, if it wasn't for my family. My IBS is strongly effected by worry. My acupuncturist treats the stress and anxiety that i feel as well as my bowels. He leaves magnets and sometimes pins in my ear for me to tweak when i'm feeling bad. I was very sceptical and went as a last resort. The treatment means that i have a regular routine and go nearly every morning if i stick to his 'rules'. i'm not in the loo as long and although i still have stomach cramps they are know where near as painful and i haven't used a hot water bottle in over 4 weeks, when i used to use one at least twice a week. His 'rules' are:* No cold foods, drinks E.g.no ice cream, no ice in drinks. this sounds bad but really isn't that hard. i just drink room temp water all the time and warm a dressing before putting it on salad.* No juices or fruits. Just bland fruit like apples or pears. Citrus fruits definite no-no. I found this hard as i lived on fruit but its a small price to pay for a normal life.Although it is expensive i would recommend it to anyone, i'd give it at least 4 treatments to see if it works for you. If you have anymore questions please don't hestitate to ask. Good luck if you try it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
P.s. he says warm foods are good for the gut, especially soup, the heartier the better! home made pref cuz they don't have the #### in aswell. I have soup every day and if i don't, the next day i'm not as energised. I don't know if he's brain washed me
but i don't care if it works. I'd pay him £100 a week if i can carry on feeling like this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im glad to see people are paying attention to this. For me it took a while to see good results, however, I waited until I was really sick before I saught help. I had basically every symptom under the sun but usually leaned towards IBS-D. Acupuncture is expensive, but Im telling you it works. I dont think everyone is going to be able to find a good acupuncturist and also be able to pay for it, but if you have the money...DO IT! Also request herbs, herbs are a big part of what helped me. The herbs my acupuncturist gave me helped more than any precription drug that an MD ever gave me. I also cant stress enough that people should take GOOD probiotics, not the POS kind you get at CVS. You need to get powder that is extremely potent and is kept in the freezer at all times. I cant stress this enough!!!!!! Good Luck everyone, I would be willing to answer any questions. And if anyone is in the Boston area I would be happy to refer you to one of the best Acupuncturists in the country. Shoot me a message.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
quote:Originally posted by jessimaca:p.s. he says warm foods are good for the gut, especially soup, the heartier the better! home made pref cuz they don't have the #### in aswell. I have soup every day and if i don't, the next day i'm not as energised. I don't know if he's brain washed me
but i don't care if it works. I'd pay him £100 a week if i can carry on feeling like this.
From what I know, this isnt good advice for everyone. Some people may have what they call, extra heat in their gut and this may actually be a bad thing. A trained acupuncturist will be able to make this judgment

·
Registered
87 Posts
I go to acupuncture 2-3 times a week and i have felt a major difference. i am now living almost a normal life these days, of no pain and not having to go to the bathroom all the time. of course i still have some remembrance of IBS, i dont think it will all dissappear, but i feel 110% better than i did months ago. i think it was the combination of meds, new diet and the acupuncture. the acupunture really just helps calm your body and gives your body a chance to start healing, and not being in pain. i like it, it is very relaxing, when you are stressed its a good thing to get

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just went to the GI for the first time today. Been living with IBS-C for four years though. He had a few suggestions for me and is running more tests, but he suggested a new probiotic, a new fiber supplement, plus ACCUPUNCTURE for my "lack of motility", which is what he thinks I have, more than psychological links to my IBS. I did a search on accupuncture here and it sounds like everyone else uses it for relaxation. Whereas teh way my doc was talking was that the accupuncture would wake up my colon and get it moving. Has anyone had success with accupuncture for these specific reasons?Thanks for your help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.