Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother, so distraught by my IBS, has signed me up to see her acupuncturist -- which I'm thrilled about, because at this point I'd try anything. Anyone else tried it? Any positive results?

·
Registered
47 Posts
hello,i'm signed up for acupuncture as well, i'm a teeny bit skeptical as to whether it will work, but just like you, i am willing to try anything. my advice would be to find a caring acupuncurist who is empathetic to your situation. mine specializes in disgestive disorders, and i'm hopeful that she will be able to help me. good luck and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Acupuncuture has helped me a lot. Just keep in mind the treatment is probably as good as the practioner. Just like doctors, or any professional, there are some who are good and some who are bad. Cost is a factor. My sessions run $65. I can only afford two per month. For a time, I was going two times per week. It was the best I felt in 7 years. I was in near complete remission for seven whole months. I thought acupuncture was the cure-all. But, IBS returned. I think if I could go more it would help, but there is a limit to my budget, and my insurance does not pick up any of this. Anyway, best of luck. I am proud of you both for giving this a try. It really helps to feel you are at least doing something. Let us know how it goes. Best from Texas, Cindy

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've tried accupuncture. It had a very relaxing effect, so does provide some benefit. For some, it will work better than others, and depending on your practitioner. Acupuncture is very much like an art---a really good one can help.I tried it as I too was getting frustrated, willing to try anything at all. I tried lots of "alternative treatments"-- biofeedback, massages, accupuncture, holistic, and hynosis.They all helped a little. Not as well as the drugs I finally ended up taking. But by all means, it may well help you. IBS is surely not a "one size fits all" condition. You need doctors willing to try anything, too, to relieve symptoms. It would be ideal if something like accupuncture, or biofeedback, would bring relief. They have no risk and no bad side effects. They should certainly be tried before the more risky treatments or drugs are tried.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.