Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone!!--I am going to have my first session of acupunture tomorrow--does anyone have any success or otherwise stories about it??I have tried just about everything else, so I figure "why not?"--I know I have mentioned my colonic hydrotherapy treatments before, and a few people advised caution on such, butI am just wondering if there are any more people out there who have tried it??--maybe it really is just putting a bandaid on the symptoms, but I do think it has helped withperistalsis. I have not had one for over a month now ( I was on pretty much bi-weekly basis)--I am still trying to evaluate effectiveness, I guess, but I sure to hate them with a passion!!!!! Talk about invasive... I am thinking that based on alot of postings on the board, that our symptoms are eased with combination of Eastern and Western med/alternative med approach. Any thoughts on this?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have tried acupuncture for IBS. My experience was not entirely successful, but I enjoyed it anyway. They would put the needles in various spots on my body (which didn't hurt, although some people report that it does), and leave me in a quiet, darkened room with some soothing, quiet music. When they came back I was so relaxed that I literally felt like a blob of jello that was going to ooze off the table. I have never been able to recapture that deep of a relaxed feeling outside of an acupuncture session, even through hypnosis. Unfortunately the feeling never lasted for very long afterwards. I had to stop going for financial reasons as my insurance doesn't cover acupuncture.Good Luck with yours.....just keep an open mind about it and don't worry about the pain.....I had none at all.Let us know how it goes.
LynneB

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,I've been wanting to try accupuncture as well. How did you find a practitioner that you trusted? [This message has been edited by Alex (edited 08-04-99).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried it for migraines and it did nothing. I actually started to have almost panic attacks! You have to lie (lay? gosh I hate that word!) there and cannot move! Yikes. As I said, it didn't help my headaches at all and is very expensive. My hubby tried it too for chronic low back pain and experienced nothing but a much emptier wallet.Carlene

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hello Alex--I found the practitioner through calling around a bit, actually hit pay dirt in the sense that the person I am seeing tomorrow is also an instructor of acupuncture at the local university. I was able to talk to him on the phone which was also nice, as I had oppportunity to ask him directly about the IBS specifically in terms of treatment. I really don't know what will happen, or if I will like and trust this practitioner, but I am hopeful and curious! My mother has a host of medical problems, and really supports acupuncture--she loves it!!--she is also tired of having so many RX's thrown at her, and really wants to manage her health in holistic way as much as possible.I will most definitely post results. Wouldn'tthat be something if it helped???

·
Registered
445 Posts
Do you know how acupuncture works? I know they stick needles in you (I hate needles!), but do you know why they do that and how it works?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Acupunture is based on imagined notion that there are two components of the body�s energy, yin and yang and that people get sick when they are out of sync. Placing needles along the certain imagined lines along the body is supposed to stimulate the yin and yang and bring into the balance.Theoreticaly, acupunture may reduce pain and bring on relexation, but there is no evidence of any benefit beyond that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are channels of energy that run throughout and over the body. These channels are called Meridians. They flow like a river of life, stimulating and nourshing our cells and tissues to grow and be healthy. There are times when these channels become blocked. When they become blocked, they can affect not only areas they lead to, but other areas as well. This can lead to illness, disease, pains, and discomforts of many sorts (IBS, backaches, headaches etc).Acupuncture is designed to get the Chi (pronounced 'chee' also shown as Qi) flowing again to get the body to begin it's own natural process of healing and repairing itself by unblocking those dams that have reared their ugly heads...This system has been developed by a culture that has been studying holistic medicines for thousands of years. There has been research done that actually shows how it stimulates various centers in the brain and body and that it does work for many who try it. But, there is also the side of spirituality/energy body that is involved that makes research a bit difficult to explain or put on paper according to the 'rules' of our scientific/medical community. Hence, for many it's 'imagined' since we can't actually see, feel, or taste it...Much of our current medical system is based on business. Drug companies competeing to make our lives better so they can reap the benefits. We've all seen the commercials for many of the new drugs that are out there (followed by warnings of adverse side affects such as nausea, headaches, abdonminal pain, oh and pregnant women should never handle 'this' drug...)...We've made wonderful advancements and life is much better now than it was. But I think that we need to find a happy medium of holistic and 'western' medicines.Not trying to rant *grin..too late neh?*, but I would highly recommend that anyone having medical problems of any sort should explore ALL avenues available to them. After all, if it works, what does it matter what it is?Be well..------------------"There is no spoon.."--The Matrix

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
As I mentioned these channels of energy are just imagined constructs. They have no actual basis in reality.It does indeed stimulate parts of the brain, but research isn't necessary to show that. Anything touching you is going to do that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gosh, Flux, do you ever have anything good or positive to say to any of us, or do you just come in here to taunt all of us who are suffering?I was warned about you when I first came here, but decided to keep an open mind. So far, all I've seen you do is criticize, and I'm not sure if you've ever offered any help or sympathy or understanding...certainly none that I have seen. I'm starting to think that perhaps you like all the attention, negative though it may be.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've tried acupuncture and found the cost to be high and my insurance wouldn't pay unless it was done by an MD. So, I went for about a month -- at the end of that time felt no better but no worse either (pain or D-wise). I discontinued the treatments; however, I have heard of others who have had luck with this treatment. I guess we're all looking for a "cure" or at least help and are willing to try practically anything and everything. Depending on the results of my latest treatment, if that doesn't work I am going to consider hypnosis. Good luck and keep an open mind. BTW, I had no pa in, an occasional "pinch" when the needles were inserted, but would go thru treatment again if I felt it helped.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried Acupuncture few times for my diarrhea and headaches. It felt OK to me - kind of relax. However, didn't see any sucessful. I couldn't continue the treatment because it is too expensive and my insurance does not cover.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts