Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am an 18 year old female living in England and i too have IBS.I don't eat because i am scared something will 'happen', and sometimesi will just eat really small meals.I am worried that i am developing and eating disorder because even when i am really hungry i won't eat sometimes.I don't want this to sound cheesy, but maybe by havind another person of the same age to talk to we can sort each others heads out a bit.Love, Spliff

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hello - I just wanted to say that it's really important when you have IBS to keep eating regularly. The more erratic your diet the more trouble your gastro-intestinal system will have. I get the impression you're more of a d type from your post - you should try some of the solutions others have posted for d, such as calcium. If you're not d, there are other suggestions here, or start a thread about your symptoms and people will suggest what has helped them.I worked with sufferers of Eating Disorders for some time, and I can tell you that you so don't want to get on that cycle. People with ED's end up with a host of gastro-intestinal disorders. Many develop IBS and related disorders as a result. These disorders often persist once the ED is treated. The thing to remember about the GI tract is that it works by stimulation in the form of foods. If you aren't eating, it won't be stimulated. So find out which foods you can eat and stick to those. You might find it helpful to talk to your Dr about this stuff too, or maybe a counsellor. I would be happy to discuss this further, when I come back from my Christmas hols!Good luck

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I'm well aware of my problems. Several doctors, counselors and psychiatrists have made it pretty clear. I actually did have full-blown eating disorder about 4 years ago, where I ended up not growing. I later developed IBS, and overcame the emotional side of the ED. I was ready to eat normally, and I did for a long while. The IBS still did not go away, and it got to the point where I physically could not handle normal eating anymore due to IBS, and now I'm still not eating much (1000-1500 cal./day), but I would if the IBS did not plague me. I am a straight C type, and have used milk of magnesia daily for 3 years, changing it to C/D type with bloating and gas (better than all C). I drink plenty of water (10-12 glasses a day), and am healthy apart from my IBS and weight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts