Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Jack and I have had IBS-D all my life.(38) years. It has been a constant battle almost everyday. The only periods of some relief is when I restrict myself to just going to work and staying home. I have not gone away on vacation in over twenty years. The longest relationship I have ever been in was 5 months long. I just ended that one for the same reason that I ended all the previous ones. The stress of trying to maintain a relationship is just too much on my IBS. Being in a relationship brings with it the stress and anxiety of having to immediately increase your social interactions much faster than my IBS can handle. Bowing out of these social events or having to leave early due to a sudden episode of "D" is quite frustrating when the people you are with have no empathy. People think that all you have to do is just go to the bathroom once and relieve yourself and you are fine. They don't understand that I need a private bathroom to use and may need to make several trips. Sometimes after a few hours I still hurt as if someone is twisting my intestines like they are wringing out a wet dish rag.I have gained significant relief from the calcium supplements. Enough relief that I boldly agreed to go on a cruise to the Caribbean for a week with two close friends who understand my problem. At least if I can't participate in a lot of things or I am not feeling well, they can at least hang out together during those times. I went for a colonoscopy and all was ok. The doctor put me on Zoloft 50mg. Still waiting for it to kick in. I get anxiety and panic attacks due to the unpredictability of the IBS-D. I gained a lot of confidence due to the calcium supplements, but yesterday while we were at the travel agent I could feel the anxiety creeping in. I beat it down and signed up anyway. Although I am nervous about the trip, I have to see how I handle it. if it goes well, it will build my confidence. If it goes bad, well at least I tried before turning into a total recluse. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Hi Jack (HiJack?)Misery loves company..several of us have had what you have for 3+ decades as well (now 49 started at 8 so what's that add up to?).Often pharmacotherapy and supplement therapy provide a measure of relief that varies from person to person. the symptom set you describe can be maanged, and reducced even further as mine has (remission as long as I stick to my "program") by dealing directyl with the primary provoking events which precipitate symptoms.A couple of boooks that can help explain, and then help you decide what approach is best for you, to master the neuroimmune cinsequences of IBS are recommended:IBS: A DOCTORS PLAN FOR CHRONIC DIGESTIVE TROUBLESBy Gerard Guillory, M.D.; Vanessa Ameen, M.D.; Paul Donovan, M.D.; Jack Martin, Ph.D. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...9085785-1742301 and further, to understand the specific about the various mecahnisms of symptom generation via diet:"FOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICTION AND TREATMENT", Professor Jonathan Brostoff , M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and Environmental Medicine, Kings' College, London http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...6487508-3420903 Of all the books I have read, and all the docs I have worked with, I recommend these two books esp. for those trying to learn to overcome the symptoms of IBS, with d-predominance or cyclic d& c in particular.As the anxiety (anticipatory and ohterwise) which also amplify your symptoms are a combination of direct chemical consequences of provocation that can occur within the gut, as well as learned behaviors consequent to living with IBS, it would also be valuable to combine and understanding of how to manage your diet with an adjunct for stress reduction.On self-directed program we recommend routinely is available on CD at www.ibstherapy.com (developed by a Board Certified Gastroenterologist and CLinical Psychologist team from a major medical center in St. Louis).These two symptom sets are particularly responsive to an understanding of and management of specific methods of dietary assessment, coupled where needed with basic stress management methods that can be done on your own.Anyway, the 2 books together represent probably a $25 outlay. [No I am not a book salesman and get nothing from recommending them. The doctors and dieticians I work with have used them as education materials for patients with success].I recommend these to all the doctors, dieticians and other clients we see and to everyone else suffering these same symptoms I suffered for 30 years before achieving remission.These books a together will literally answer every question about the various things that can provoke the symptoms we experience and set forth the various ways of approaching the problem to achieve success. This way you can make an informed decision about if and how you may wish to move forward further in your quest for maximum symptomatic relief.Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Hi Jack (HiJack?)Misery loves company..several of us have had what you have for 3+ decades as well (now 49 started at 8 so what's that add up to?).Often pharmacotherapy and supplement therapy provide a measure of relief that varies from person to person. the symptom set you describe can be maanged, and reducced even further as mine has (remission as long as I stick to my "program") by dealing directyl with the primary provoking events which precipitate symptoms.A couple of boooks that can help explain, and then help you decide what approach is best for you, to master the neuroimmune cinsequences of IBS are recommended:IBS: A DOCTORS PLAN FOR CHRONIC DIGESTIVE TROUBLESBy Gerard Guillory, M.D.; Vanessa Ameen, M.D.; Paul Donovan, M.D.; Jack Martin, Ph.D. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...9085785-1742301 and further, to understand the specific about the various mecahnisms of symptom generation via diet:"FOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICTION AND TREATMENT", Professor Jonathan Brostoff , M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and Environmental Medicine, Kings' College, London http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...6487508-3420903 Of all the books I have read, and all the docs I have worked with, I recommend these two books esp. for those trying to learn to overcome the symptoms of IBS, with d-predominance or cyclic d& c in particular.As the anxiety (anticipatory and ohterwise) which also amplify your symptoms are a combination of direct chemical consequences of provocation that can occur within the gut, as well as learned behaviors consequent to living with IBS, it would also be valuable to combine and understanding of how to manage your diet with an adjunct for stress reduction.On self-directed program we recommend routinely is available on CD at www.ibstherapy.com (developed by a Board Certified Gastroenterologist and CLinical Psychologist team from a major medical center in St. Louis).These two symptom sets are particularly responsive to an understanding of and management of specific methods of dietary assessment, coupled where needed with basic stress management methods that can be done on your own.Anyway, the 2 books together represent probably a $25 outlay. [No I am not a book salesman and get nothing from recommending them. The doctors and dieticians I work with have used them as education materials for patients with success].I recommend these to all the doctors, dieticians and other clients we see and to everyone else suffering these same symptoms I suffered for 30 years before achieving remission.These books a together will literally answer every question about the various things that can provoke the symptoms we experience and set forth the various ways of approaching the problem to achieve success. This way you can make an informed decision about if and how you may wish to move forward further in your quest for maximum symptomatic relief.Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Hi JackRyanI agree with what Mike said to you...I have had IBS-D and CVS for many years...40 yearsto be exact...I like you was a slave to my home, bathroom and everyone else toliet.and it controlled my life...as far a vacations, grocery trips, malls and even work.Today I can control my IBS-D with the different foods I eat along with thestress reduction tape that Mike mentioned...After my symptoms got better myanxiety level got so much better
Today I am able to do all the things that I watchedall my friends do that I couldnt.....I have alot of confidence today to go out and enjoy the world....Hopefully you will find the method that works for your IBS-DTake care and hope you feel better real soon...I can really relate to you

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Hi JackRyanI agree with what Mike said to you...I have had IBS-D and CVS for many years...40 yearsto be exact...I like you was a slave to my home, bathroom and everyone else toliet.and it controlled my life...as far a vacations, grocery trips, malls and even work.Today I can control my IBS-D with the different foods I eat along with thestress reduction tape that Mike mentioned...After my symptoms got better myanxiety level got so much better
Today I am able to do all the things that I watchedall my friends do that I couldnt.....I have alot of confidence today to go out and enjoy the world....Hopefully you will find the method that works for your IBS-DTake care and hope you feel better real soon...I can really relate to you

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hugs, Jack, we all know what you're going through, we're here for you. Have a wonderful time on the cruise!!! It's good that you are going with friends who understand. Thumbs up to them. Keep on the Zoloft, it'll kick in soon. I think it will help you a lot.
, Marriah

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hugs, Jack, we all know what you're going through, we're here for you. Have a wonderful time on the cruise!!! It's good that you are going with friends who understand. Thumbs up to them. Keep on the Zoloft, it'll kick in soon. I think it will help you a lot.
, Marriah

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.