Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed with IBS in spring 2009 after colonoscopies etc and at that point I discovered that I can't tolerate any lactose in my diet at all. I also can't eat any beef. Still, I thought - manageable on the whole. But....over the last few months I've had increasing bouts of sudden and absolutely uncontrollable diarrhoea - but I can't work out what it is related to. Today had bloating, pain, headache, diarrhoea and have had to miss a work meeting because I can't go out like this. I've never told anyone I have IBS but suddenly I can't cope with this - not knowing my triggers or why I have these bad attacks. I've been watching this forum for ages but have joined today because I finally need to admit I can't cope. Help!!

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I experienced that for 10 years after cigarette smoking seemed to have brought it on. I chased triggers that whole time; but 5 years after quitting smoking it still carried on. I seriously did not know how much longer I was going to last. It wasn't until I started taking a flavonoid supplement for my cardio system that I got relief. It appears to have been an inflammatory response from that stupid addiction that the extracts were able to help. At the time I was sure I would never have milk products again, along with any number of other foods. That has proven over time to be wrong. Mark

·
Registered
38 Posts
how much bentylol do you take. I find it usually helps me but I get dty mouth and a little light headed. Does this usually go away? I also have been given zantac for reflux an donperidome to help move food through faster. Out of all these meds I find Bentlol works the best for pain and bloating. Can you tell me your experience with it. and do you take anything else. I'm afraid I am taking too many meds!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Stress may be causing your diarrhea, rather than food intolerance.Has something stressful recently happened to bring this on?Jackmat

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Have you been back to the doctor since it got much worse.Sometimes people will get something else (celiac will become active, they get microscopic colitis, C.diff overgrowth, Giardia infections that can hang on a long time) that can make diarrhea a lot worse than the IBS did.It can just be the IBS got worse (and sometimes triggers are not obvious but things like you aren't sleeping quite as well for some reason, or the weather changed). But it isn't good to assume any major change in pattern is just IBS.If your over the counter controls no longer work (have you tried Calcium and Imodium or a low carb diet which often works for IBS-D types to reduce diarrhea). You may need to get some prescription medication to help keep things under control.One thing on low carb diet, you may not want to do that until you test for celiac as the tests usually need it to be active and for it to be active you should be consuming wheat and a lot of people on a very low carb diet even if they don't eliminate gluten may not be getting enough.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just wanted to say that I am so sorry to hear about your suffering and your feeling that you can't cope. I often feel that way.It's quite difficult in a fix-it-with-a-pill, and do-it-now societal mentality to learn how to deal with something that may take ages to understand, requiring many bouts of trying and failing. I think some people are able to find what works best for them quite easy, while it takes much longer for others. I wish you the former, but if not, then I wish for you patience, and a light at the end of the road. Good luck.

·
Registered
473 Posts
RST, you don't seem to have typical IBS.I think a particular food or food group is bothering you, so its time to keep a diary. You've already admitted you have LACTOSE intolerance. The fact that BEEF is a problem may indicate AMINE intolerance, but if I was a betting man, my highest suspects would be WHEAT and then FRUCTOSE.Stay away from bread/pasta etc for a short while and stay away from fruit (particularly plums, apples, pears, cherries, strawberrries).See how you go.Jackmat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.