Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay, I have been suffering from IBS-D for about 2 and a half years now (I'm nearly 21) and still discovering trigger foods. My IBS bouts are intermittent, usually about 30 minutes after I have eaten a trigger food, but very severe and always result in me passing out on the bathroom floor with severe abdominal pain. I was wondering whether any other people have similar episodes and how long it took them to form a definite list of foods to avoid or whether that is even possible? Also is there any medication that could help with this kind of IBS, as my GP is rather unhelpful? My IBS is really problematic and just as I think I know which foods to avoid another makes me ill and I feel like it controls my life far too much. Any help and/or advice would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
311 Posts
the problem with cleaning up after something has incited D, is u r always chasing ur losses...........& it keeps happening.........if u can find out exactly what is missing or what element (s) r in short supply, then u can treat the underlying causes.........if this is note addressed, then there will always b something u r missing, something that u have no knowledge of, triggering ur D..........& it always gets worse..........eventually u have permanent damage that cannot b treated so easily by supplementation........

·
Registered
11 Posts
been there, done that, got that T-shirt! i am 47 and been struggling with this since my third child in 1989. I have found that it is not the foods i should be labeling as triggers but the ingredients. certain processed sugars, fatty acids, etc are sometimes hidden in our food. ever eaten something and it makes you sick but you eat it again and it doesn't? prob because of the ingredients. look for similiar ingredients in the food you eat. Glutens, processed sugar, fatty acids, etc. and see if there is an ingredient that is your trigger not the food itself. i hope this helps! and defnitely get on a medication that calms your digestive system. if your doctor is not helping you, then go to another.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Also keep in mind that there can be other triggers besides foods or ingredients. Many IBS'ers have hormone triggers, extreme heat or cold can trigger symptoms etc.. Some folks have more trouble around seasonal changes... some even can have symptoms develop from simply exercising.... the speed at whcih one eats could be factor as well as how well one chews their food etc... Just depends on the person.And just so you know.. having D after a meal doesn't mean that the D you are passing then is from the meal you just ate. It is from prior meals. Eating itself causes a colonic response.. for everyone.. not just IBSers.What you describe is typical of IBS. Since you do not have trouble everyday.. you might look at what types of foods you are eating leading up to an attack. You may find the meals you have had may have been a bit more heavy in fat. Try to keep a low fat diet.. stay away from fried foods or junk foods. Eat veggies cooked rather than raw maybe. Also look into using a Calcium Carbonate supplement. (See Linda's Calcium thread on this forum for more info). Or you can use imodium.If you cannot get an antispamodic from your Dr for the pain.. try using peppermint capsules or even strong peppermints or just peppermint tea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi BQ,That's very interesting to hear you talk about the speed at which food is consumed and that it may affect D symptoms. That's the first time I have seen that mentioned in anything I have read. Maybe I need to read more.I eat extremely quickly but have never thought it could be related to my D. Despite having chronic urgency to go to the toilet (have you seen someone run with straight legs !) and having passed nothing solid for about 5 years now, since having a really bad dose of food poisening, I count myself lucky because I get no cramps or pain whatsoever like a lot of the posts I have read.I really think that my gut has been damaged, in some way, but have never considered the speed at which I eat food to be related.Interesting reading as always.Thanks.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Loaded what remedies have you tried already? Maybe we can help you find something to get you a bit more firm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi BQ,Thanks for the reply.I have tried many things over the years, I am 100% sure that changes of diet make absolutely no difference to me. Also I have lost count of the money I have wasted on probiotics drinks/powders. I really got to the point where any change to my symptoms at all would have been welcome as no matter what I ate or drank it was always the same. A controlled urgent rush to the toilet- and when I say controlled I mean that my brain was in full control as to when it happened if you see what I mean. I never get this chronic urge to go when there is no toilet available.Colofac made a difference for a short time (about a month), but not anymore.One final thing - I have to work in Barbados about 5 times a year, and always within 2 days of getting there I am 100% OK. After returning, I am back to toilet traumas within a day or so. That would seem to contradict my initial statement about a change of diet though.Thanks again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hi guys there is a blood test for IBS-ers on food allergies..i am not sure whether it really helps.. i went to see my senior GP about abdominal pains and IBS related problems lately and he recommended me to do this blood test. As i am asian, the blood test will test for 100 kinds of normally consumed food by asian and the result will come back in 3 weeks time with a report on what are the type of food whom IBS-ers should not take.. the problem is this is an extremely expensive test whcih cost me about USD 700 .. The blood is being sent to US / AUSTRALIA for a lab test .which i was told only after taking blood taken...but anyway i hope the blood test come back with some helpful result on the food which i should avoid...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.