Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.I'm just turned 40 years old, and think I've had IBS or similar for the past year or so. When I think back it is definitely set off by stress most of the time - an example - some months ago my husband was offered a brilliant job in Oman, (we live in the UK), he decided to go and give it a try, the day he left it snowed so hard the runways were closed here and he had to sit for eight hours in the airport, meanwhile it took me five hours to drive home from Manchester airport which is normally 1.5 hours maximum - it was horrific, there were cars crashed everywhere on the motorways but thank goodness my diesel car just kept trudging on and never stopped. Aside from the horror of the massive unexpected snowfall, I had just sent my husband off to the middle east to an unknown country, unknown job, people, etc, and I was absolutely crying my eyes out all the way home, all that night, and for several days after. EVen though I knew he was coming back after four weeks for a week, and so on, I was very upset, it felt like he had died. So this is when my stomach decided to go into turmoil worse than ever. For seven nights in a row I had diarrheaa, bloating, loss of appetite, headaches, weeply, sleepy, no energy, muscle/joint aches.Once I'd calmed down and knew hubby was doing ok, and being made very welcome, it subsided. The next time I was ill was four weeks later as I drove to the airport at 4am to collect him, again - nerves I think. I had to stop the car on the woodhead pass (let me tell you, at 4am that was scary) !! and find a bush, sheep looking at me!.When he returned I was fine, then he flew back a week later, did another month, I had maybe four or five episodes during that time but they always seemed to be on the days when I was feeling a bit low/lonely.Then we hit a bit of a bad time involving family, two seperate episodes which I don't want to go into detail of, suffice to say our daughter, and his dad, both very ill. WEll it started again, When I count up I bet i've had sixteen episodes in the last three months and apart from it being extremely horrible, I feel completely washed out the day after, causing me to miss out on doing things we love doing. I can't even leave the house for at least 24 hrs AFTER the episode.I finally went to the docs - told him all the symptoms - he was very good, asked lots of questions, I was especially concerned about my aching joints/muscles as these pains were moving from shoulder to ankle and anywhere in between, he seemed to think that is associated as are the headaches? I'm not sure about this, anyway he said he thinks it's IBS (i agreed) and prescribed me some omaprezole - acid reducing tablets, I had a blood test which showed inflammation so he advised me to take 4 weeks of the tablets (never had one episode at all during this time - and the muscle aches disappeared) - then go see him one week AFTER I've finished the course for another blood testf.Well the course finished last thursday, and yesterday, and today, I've been ill AGAIN, bloated, diarrhea, headache, tired, no energy, the muscle aches are back.Sorry for waffling on - what I'm wanting to ask is - the tablets clearly helped - he gave me a repeat prescription - would you advise me to a/ collect more tablets and put the blood test back a month orb/ go without tablets, go for the test, (he wanted to see if the inflammation has gone or not) and put up with more episodes until he decides what to do with meI dont' know what to do. I don't have time off work unless I have to, luckily I work in a very relaxed atmosphere so they know about my problem and there's no issue there - I'm just sick of feeling like this, cannot stand the pain - the running to the loo 20 times a night - even if I don't eat anything at all I still get it when I'm stressed, I know it's not food related by process of elimination (of everything!!), it's stress/worry/upset. But how on earth can a person stop getting stressed or worried when there's always something going wrong :(Any advice would be greatly appreciated, stuck in limbo here and unsure what to do

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi everyone.I'm just turned 40 years old, and think I've had IBS or similar for the past year or so. When I think back it is definitely set off by stress most of the time - an example - some months ago my husband was offered a brilliant job in Oman, (we live in the UK), he decided to go and give it a try, the day he left it snowed so hard the runways were closed here and he had to sit for eight hours in the airport, meanwhile it took me five hours to drive home from Manchester airport which is normally 1.5 hours maximum - it was horrific, there were cars crashed everywhere on the motorways but thank goodness my diesel car just kept trudging on and never stopped. Aside from the horror of the massive unexpected snowfall, I had just sent my husband off to the middle east to an unknown country, unknown job, people, etc, and I was absolutely crying my eyes out all the way home, all that night, and for several days after. EVen though I knew he was coming back after four weeks for a week, and so on, I was very upset, it felt like he had died. So this is when my stomach decided to go into turmoil worse than ever. For seven nights in a row I had diarrheaa, bloating, loss of appetite, headaches, weeply, sleepy, no energy, muscle/joint aches.Once I'd calmed down and knew hubby was doing ok, and being made very welcome, it subsided. The next time I was ill was four weeks later as I drove to the airport at 4am to collect him, again - nerves I think. I had to stop the car on the woodhead pass (let me tell you, at 4am that was scary) !! and find a bush, sheep looking at me!.When he returned I was fine, then he flew back a week later, did another month, I had maybe four or five episodes during that time but they always seemed to be on the days when I was feeling a bit low/lonely.Then we hit a bit of a bad time involving family, two seperate episodes which I don't want to go into detail of, suffice to say our daughter, and his dad, both very ill. WEll it started again, When I count up I bet i've had sixteen episodes in the last three months and apart from it being extremely horrible, I feel completely washed out the day after, causing me to miss out on doing things we love doing. I can't even leave the house for at least 24 hrs AFTER the episode.I finally went to the docs - told him all the symptoms - he was very good, asked lots of questions, I was especially concerned about my aching joints/muscles as these pains were moving from shoulder to ankle and anywhere in between, he seemed to think that is associated as are the headaches? I'm not sure about this, anyway he said he thinks it's IBS (i agreed) and prescribed me some omaprezole - acid reducing tablets, I had a blood test which showed inflammation so he advised me to take 4 weeks of the tablets (never had one episode at all during this time - and the muscle aches disappeared) - then go see him one week AFTER I've finished the course for another blood testf.Well the course finished last thursday, and yesterday, and today, I've been ill AGAIN, bloated, diarrhea, headache, tired, no energy, the muscle aches are back.Sorry for waffling on - what I'm wanting to ask is - the tablets clearly helped - he gave me a repeat prescription - would you advise me to a/ collect more tablets and put the blood test back a month orb/ go without tablets, go for the test, (he wanted to see if the inflammation has gone or not) and put up with more episodes until he decides what to do with meI dont' know what to do. I don't have time off work unless I have to, luckily I work in a very relaxed atmosphere so they know about my problem and there's no issue there - I'm just sick of feeling like this, cannot stand the pain - the running to the loo 20 times a night - even if I don't eat anything at all I still get it when I'm stressed, I know it's not food related by process of elimination (of everything!!), it's stress/worry/upset. But how on earth can a person stop getting stressed or worried when there's always something going wrong :(Any advice would be greatly appreciated, stuck in limbo here and unsure what to do

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...and I have also realised that taking nurofen or any sort of ibuprofen makes the problem ten times worse! when I told doc this, he said no-one on earth with tummy problems should EVER take that medicine, just stick with paracetamol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello Felix24I am new too here.
Me too, I have been prescribed Omeprazole as well I have been on this for over a week now and it has helped with appetite on which I had none. It has worked and I am feeling better. To sum it up in a nutshell I first had my symptoms after a holiday abroad and a camplyobacter bug which laid me flat for a week then I had a close relative pass away which was stressful and not nice. Then I started to get flare ups with nausea, sickness, loss of appetite, bloating and feeling of being washed out next day this carried on for six months.I also get worried by things and same happens brain worries tummy starts so I am trying to manage my stress levels with help of GP. Stress does make it worse you are right.After a battery of tests and keeping diary of symptoms. I have been diagnosed with IBS PI (Post Infectious). Omeprazole has helped with this.What IBS type do you have?I have found pro biotics worked for me and have helped with bloating somewhat. Also eating little and often I am rubbish with big portions it throws the tummy out of whack so smaller portions work for me (makes this more settled).I think a trip back to the GP and ask him what his advice is - tell him you are feeling rotten and ask what you should do. Your GP is the best link for advice - mine has been really helpful and helped me when I felt awful.You have raised a very interesting point re Omeprazole as I have only been put on this for a few weeks so I will be raising with GP the point you have mentioned on this. Let me know how you get on, I am still getting used to this IBS thing too. I go back in a month so will let you know what happens then. It isn't nice with all these symptoms stay positive and don't let the IBS monster get you down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.