Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I read all your posts, I wanted to add, I am at a crossroads.I have sacrificed having fun in my 20s to being obsessed with fixing IBS.The result has been I am stuck with all of the loneliness, worry, and work of fixing IBS with none of the results.This is what really gets me.I see your stories here, you people are not all mad and angry. I've been doing this for seven years.Seven years from now, I don't want to look back and say I wasted my whole 20s...I still got 4 years left.At the same time it completely enrages me to see a bloated, inflated gut despite all my efforts.Thing is...if I diet all week...exercise...blah blah..and go out to a party on Saturday...it's a fish out of water if you don't mingle and partake.However, doing so can negate EVERYTHING you did all week to get better (if you did get better).But...I miss those Saturday nights...man they were fun.What do I do?Keep on doing what I do (likely with the same results and cost in terms of not partaking in life?)Do something else (what???) to improve the IBS?Let loose, be carefree, and enjoy my 20s and cut the cord?Part of me is depressed...I don't want to be 30...40 and look back saying I gave up fun in my youth to bloating and digestion.I want to go out, party, and not give a damn.Part of me knows though one day I will get furious and mad when I see myself completely out of shape and bloated.All of me knows going half and half won't work...you can't cut out dairy or alcohol half the time.I don't want to regret the choices I make.If I give up with trying to concur and overcome my IBS symptoms...I'll get mad one of these days at how my body is so out of shape and digestion out of whack.If I keep trying, I'll continue to get nowhere at a pyric cost...my life...friends...living and having fun.What do I do?What did YOU do?How did you manage?What did YOU choose when you were in your 20s?Is this mutually exclusive?Double down on fixing IBS or party harty and deal w/accept that you will be bloated and out of shape/whack digestively?LOL maybe just become a pothead.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am 23 and suffering from IBS-D. I am just as frusterated/cautious/obsessive as you are about my IBS, especially when my friends are ready to go to the club or the bar and I am VERY hesitant about going. One way that has helped me is that I told one of my closest closest friends about it, so if I do have a flare up while im out they understand if I need to leave and make up an excuse for me to tell my other friends. This has helped a GREAT DEAL. Another thing that helps is try not to irritate your stomach. As far as alcohol goes, some of it can make IBS worse. My drink used to be red bull and vodka..well after one night of a HORRIBLE flare up, I had to quit drinking it. I try to stick to gingerale and vodka or something easy on the stomach. And its not as "bloating" as beer!I also make sure I take an Immodium or something a couple hours before I go out..just in case. I also carry it with me to the bar..just in case. You should remember, that if you go out and have a flare up, so what?! People get to drunk and puke all over those bathrooms, who is going to even notice that you are having a flare up?! Thats the way I look at it!As far as being bloated, so what! haha - we all feel that way at somepoint..get out on the dance floor and just forget about it! :)You have to try and just accept that you have IBS, and try to work with your body in order to find what works best for you. Go out and have fun and ENJOY your 20's!! We aren't going to be 20 forever

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think it must be awful for those of you with IBS-D, having to plan when and where you go in case you have to get to a toilet, but at least you can plan those things to some extent. My problem, with IBS-C, is that the majority of the time I just feel too ill to go out. Sometimes I force myself to go anyway and it's worth the effort, but other times I find myself feeling sick, in agony and desperately wanting to go home. It's miserable. So my advice to IBS-Ders is that if it's more a case of practicality than anything, go for it. Just plan as much as you can before you venture out, and maybe stick to the same places at first so you feel more comfortable. Oh and definitely tell someone what the situation is - as Lizzie says it's hugely beneficial to have that support.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem is....if I go out and drink...it makes me bloated...and this can last for DAYS.So say I spend the whole week obsessing on eating the right foods, exercising, and whatnot...it is really hard for me to be at ease going out and partying knowing I am going to look like ###### the next 4 days.If it were an acute thing, like puking, that's one thing...it's over and done with.But when you are bloated and backed up for 3+ days...it really makes you hesistant to go out.I mean...I feel like saying if I am going to suffer...why not just go all in and let loose but then I know I'd regret it.This is tough.Other thing is...what drinks are best for us?Ginger ale and vodka maybe OK BUT it has caffeine (IBS no no)....seems that there really is NO IBS safe drink.Seems that it is an oxymoron to be in yours 20, have fun, AND manage IBS.Seems mutually exclusive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey volatile,I am the same as you when i drink which is often lol.I used to drink larger all the time but because of my reflux they never agreed with me at all 2 or 3 and they would'nt be in my stomach for long lmao,me mates would laugh cause id be chuffed to be goin for a pint with them an then have to run off after an hour or so ye know.i tried to sip my drinks so i could stay out a little longer it would work for a while and then i end up with the same result in the end hehe me bringin it all back up again waste of money.I tried loads of different beers lager(i found Heineken the best by far)i only drink it from time to time now because i get a big fat belly for a few days after haha an sometimes get sick,i can stomach that more myself than others.I tried cedar(no go, my stomach does not like lol).I never drank spirits ever so i havent tried to find one which i can drink. After alot of different beers too many to name them all
. I like most other Irish people decided to try Guinness
,i tried it a few times but didnt like the taste but eventually grew to like it, it is the only thing that i will drink now.It does not react at all with my stomach, i can happily drink away out all night with my mates with no problem, occasionally i will be rough the next morning but never get sick mainly toilet stops.Im not saying that this will work for you but for me personally this my preferred drink now.Hopefully you can find something that suits you, so you can start getting back goin out with your mates.Mark
The problem is....if I go out and drink...it makes me bloated...and this can last for DAYS.So say I spend the whole week obsessing on eating the right foods, exercising, and whatnot...it is really hard for me to be at ease going out and partying knowing I am going to look like ###### the next 4 days.If it were an acute thing, like puking, that's one thing...it's over and done with.But when you are bloated and backed up for 3+ days...it really makes you hesistant to go out.I mean...I feel like saying if I am going to suffer...why not just go all in and let loose but then I know I'd regret it.This is tough.Other thing is...what drinks are best for us?Ginger ale and vodka maybe OK BUT it has caffeine (IBS no no)....seems that there really is NO IBS safe drink.Seems that it is an oxymoron to be in yours 20, have fun, AND manage IBS.Seems mutually exclusive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The problem is....if I go out and drink...it makes me bloated...and this can last for DAYS.So say I spend the whole week obsessing on eating the right foods, exercising, and whatnot...it is really hard for me to be at ease going out and partying knowing I am going to look like ###### the next 4 days.
For those of you who complain about alcohol being a trigger. Have you been tested for SIBO? It could be a strong link, since alcoholic drinks are pure carbs. Grain carbs from liquor are more complex than sugars, which could explain why it is much worse than soda.I had the SIBO breath test, had very abnormal results which suggested SIBO, and have been drinking almost no alcohol since.

·
Registered
38 Posts
@Volatile I know what you are going through. My IBS did not get really severe until I was in my 20's--and started drinking. I LOVE to go out with my friends (I'm 31 now) and still have to plan days in advance which can cause a great deal of anxiety, especially to my boyfriend who just DOESN'T understand sometimes. My advice--exactly what Lizzie said. Find a friend you trust and let them know what's going on. Be as truthful as possible with them and don't down-play your situation. I had a few people I told when I was in my roaring 20's and some of them just thought I was being annoying because I wasn't as serious with them as I should be. It's a very real issue. It's very hard to tell someone what I was just doing in the bathroom for 10 minutes. Would they make fun of someone with diabetes? I understand how much you hate having to think about it but, I promise, it will get easier. I still inspect the bathrooms of every bar I go into to make sure there are always more than 1 toilet and that I have easy access. I do have to sacrifice a lot for that but being able to TRULY enjoy and evening is absolutely worth it. It might annoy people but I have to look out for my comfort--it's actually become one of my quirks that everyone now understands. I even have had friends open up to me about their own issues.As for drinks--I actually do well with a vodka/club. The sugar stuff is what causes me the most [email protected] I understand what you are saying about IBS-C and IBS-D but there is absolutely no planning with IBS-D. It's very important that I drive my own car. I have had to go to the bathroom in places I didn't even want to inhale in. Lord only knows what I was surrounded by. I could be getting ready to go out with my friends and instantly have to cancel. And drinking is not the end all be all, but sometimes you really want to let loose and enjoy the relaxing effects of alcohol. Hangovers aren't fun but that doesn't stop a lot of people from drinking. Hopefully we can all find our very own peace!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.