Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am scheduled to have a CT scan this Friday. I went today for the required pre-test bloodwork and then I picked up the two bottles of barium. I asked some questions about the barium and asked if they would be using the barium instead of the iodine and they said NO they are going to use both. I told them I have an allergy to seafood so what then? They got the tech for me to talk to and she said oh not to worry because they are finding that the iodine is not what peope are allergic to as much as the ion it is attached to. Way over my head here on the ion part. So we talked a bit and then she said oh we will give you 5-10 cc's and see how you do and then rapidly push the the 150cc's during the test. (Now, I am thinking during all this time about my seafood allergy and thinking ahh sometimes if I eat one shrimp I am ok but it I eat a larger quantity then I am in trouble). So maybe the 5-10cc's won't really bother me but when they rapidly push 150cc's then what could happen?I am not a genius but it seems to me that this could be a very dangerous thing to do here. Dr.'s wonder why patient's get much anxiety!!!!!! Oh really!!!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
What kind of CT are you having ( I mean CT of what?) I have asthma and very bad allergies including to sea food; I refuse to have the contrast medium they use; I had a CT of the brain without contrast. I know there are two types of contrast they can use and one of them has less allergy reaction than the other; it is not used as often because it COSTS MORE so ask them about that. I think one is called ionic and one is non-ionic. Nevertheless I don't trust it. Is there any other type of test they can do without contrast?

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
RitaLucy, I just got hopping mad at the radiology Doctor on Tuesday because I too have problems withcertain sea foods. Lobster and hard shell fish in particular. I do pretty okay with shrimp but that too depends on the day.Also, my grandfather had a bad reaction years ago to the Iodine test for imaginag tests.So they start talking about my Iodine in the I.V and I tell them that my doctor told me we weren't going to do the iodine because I have an allergy.And the lady proceeds to give me the same info you got and I'm like who cares, I'm tired of experiments on my body and I don't want to just give it a test ride.So then the Radiology doctor comes out to INFORM me of the latest modern miracles in what ever kind of iodine they are using and he tells me that I don't have an iodine allergy.And I say yes yes, I do have an iodine allergy because when I put this seaweed mask on my face not too long ago I got a serious skin burn from the seaweed iodine content.So this doctor says that's not a valid reactionand he wants....no demands...to know when I had a reaction to an iodine I.V. for an imaging test and when I tell him that I havent had a reaction to something used in an imaging test because everyone usually respects my wishes and leaves me alone on the iodine issue and they simply don't go there with me this guy gets all smart on me and says that I don't have any idea as to what I am talking about and I need to have that iodine to get a good image and of course I'm good and mad by this time because just the week before I had been next door at the sonogram place and they had me drink 500 cc's of water and I told them I couldn't hold it too long because my bladder spasms around 175 - 200 cc's (I had the measuring test done at the Urology office)and they were like who cares, you're an idiot go sit down and wait. So then the spasm kicks in and tell them I'm not doing well so they say oh go ahead an let some urine out so when I try to relieve myself....too late....spasm in full control now and so I go back and tell them to hurry up because I'll need to go to the ER pretty soon because the spasm is locked down tight and not one drop will escape and I tell them I'm going to need a catheter and finally finally someone sees that I'm really and truly in physical distress so they figure it out and get a wheel chair and rush me over to the sonogram lady where she does her job while the nurse puts in the catheter to drain the urine.SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO when this Radiology clown tells me I have to do the iodine I.V. in his most big man authoritive manner, I have no more patience and I snap at him rather coldly and intense like a crazy woman on the edge and I tell him that I am sick and tired of everyone telling me I don't know my body.And so then I guess I must have looked a little too nuts because he backed off and physically backed away and threw up his hands and repeated several times......You're the Boss, You're the boss.So we agreed to disagree and I don't get the iodine I.V.But then he decides that he cant see well so he then orders me up an ENEMA!!!!!!!!!!And I'm having the xray for pelvic pain and YEOUCH........ I'm still cramping and grouchy.So I called my doctor and whined and he agreed that I shouldn't have had an enema with my problems and I also called the hospital and went on a rant about the bladder thing and the x ray thing and last week when my husband went to their ER mysteriously bleeding gushes of blood with every poop every 2-3 hours and they wouldn't even give him a bag of fluid to replace all the fluid he was losing that was making him weak and light headed.So the moral to the story here is this.....If it doesn't feel right don't do it.Unless of course you are willing to test the consequences to satisfy the medical community.I don't care about no advancement in science with Iodine.Don't want it, and it's going to take a might better bully than the radiology doctor to get me to agree to just seeing if my worry is valid.Just my two cents.Kamie

·
Registered
54 Posts
Oh My Gosh!! Hospitals are nightmares!! My mother was allergic to iodine and they used it for her angiogram even after she told them she was allergic. I believe that's what killed her! I am not kidding. After the angiogram she lost all her skin. Just like a burn! Top to bottom! If it did that to her outside, can you imagine what it did to her inside? Theres more to the story, but I won't go into it here. I am just trying to reinforce Kamies suggestions that you know your own body!! YOU are the one who is at risk, not the people behind the wall! Make your own decision about what is used on you. Dianne

·
Registered
927 Posts
I wouldn't take the iodine either. You know your body and what you can and can't handle. You see enough malpractice suits in the newspaper to see that Doctors sometimes make serious mistakes. i would tell them "no, no, no" It's not worth your life or your health. If they give you a hard time, lie and say you're a bit sue crazy and your hubbies a lawyer
. I bet they would be quick in finding you an alternative.
Good Luck. I say don't take the iodine.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks....
That is partly true... my husband is a lawyer but he stays away from malpractice if all possible. They can be very ugly cases. Anyway, he did work on a case a few years back where a man did die while he was having an IVP test. They say that for the last 10 yrs or so they have changed the iodine that they now use. I called my Dr. yesterday but he is out of town until Monday. I talked to another nurse at their gastro group and she said to just tell them I am allergic to seafood. Well I already did that but it didn't seem to phase them.I am NOT going to let them give me the iodine. They will just have to make do. If they can't see enough then they will have to give me an MRI later or something. This is the most horrible ever for me. I already drank one of the bottles of barium the next one in 30 minutes and then I am off to the hospital. Thanks for all the replies.... I really appreciate them!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Rita, I found out I was allergic to Iodine when I had a CT scan many years ago. I got terrible hives. But when it comes to fish, I can eat shell fish without any problems, but no other type of fish or I get hives, but not as bad. My CT scan was of my head. Back in May they did a CT scan of my head again, but they didn't have to inject me with anything, they just put me in the tunnel thing for a few minutes and it was over...I'm sure not all CT scans are the same. Make sure you double check this, triple check, you never know...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting Loraine. You mean you are allergic to Iodine. You won't believe what these techs were trying to sell me on Friday a.m. at the hospital. They said well sure you are allergic to seafood but do you eat salt! They said no one is allergic to iodine! I said well that might be the case and that is ok but what are the risks vs the benefits for me to have the iodine IV with the CT scan. Is it going to make or break the test for me. After we talked the tech said that everything they needed to see they could see without the iodine. She said that there was a small risk that the iodine could make me sick -- I said or even kill me! The funny thing was (if you can find humor is most things) is that she had a 16 oz. cup of iodine ready for me to drink right before they start the scan so they can see it move through the stomach and she dumped it and had me drink more barium instead.All this time of deciding whether I should take the IV iodine or not on their part never included them consulting with the Radiologist. They were making and basing their decision on the spot based on their gut feelings...about whether or not I would be allergic.Scary stuff to me. You are right you better know your body and not let anyone tell you differently.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I can eat seafood no problem. But when I had my kidney stones 2 years I nearly died. Not from the stones, but from a severe reaction to the IVP dye. They had barely began to put it into my IV and it had started to go in me when it felt like someone was stepping on my throat. I could barely breathe. I looked at the nurse and gasped out "is it normal to feel like someone is stepping on your throat". My voice had suddenly gone all husky and apparently I went from already being pale to waxy and worse. I remember her yelling "code 25" and seeing doctors from everywhere run in. There are some foggy bits....and then I was in another room. They told me later I had stopped breathing and was pretty much dead. I had told them I had family who reacted to the dye and apparently they keep track of that. I have been told to always carry a card with me saying to never use IVP dye on me. Then, last year my GI wanted to do something on me and use the dye. Can you imagine what my reaction was? NO WAY IN HELL!!! I DO NOT WANT TO DIE AGAIN!!! OR STOP BREATHING!!! He went on about how they could put an antihistimine in me and that should work. I am normally very polite...but I told him directly there was no way in hell I was going to find out if it "should" work.He ended up agreeing with me.
If you think you should not chance it, don't do it. Better to be safe than sorry. Better to be alive than dead.

·
Registered
124 Posts
RitaLucyIt seems so hard to believe that people in medical professions would not listen to a patient who specifically informs the provider that they (the patient) has an allergy! I'm so glad to hear you stuck up for yourself, repeatedly, and refused the iodine injection.

·
Registered
495 Posts
RitaLucy: Good for you girl that you spoke up and took good care of yourself; I have been involved with medical malpractice cases for 25 years and let me tell you the people that don't question anything amazes me; they just do whatever the doctor suggests without any questions. Unfortunately people are intimidated by physicians and many are uneducateda and frightened. they assume the doctor or hospital knows what is best. I remember one of the doctors in my past, a gynecologist wanted to do a procedure IN HIS OFFICE WITH IV SEDATION- I went to another gyn and never went back to that other guy; I didn't need the procedure and would never have IV SEDATION IN A DOCTOR'S OFFICE--GOOD GRIEF.But how many people do??? Take care

·
Registered
179 Posts
Cigarello, My son had to have gum surgery done and had to be put to sleep. The oral surgeon wanted to do it in the office, I objected and said I would rather him be done in the hospital, he was only 7 years old at the time. They told me my insurance wouldn't pay for it to be done in the hospital, they had checked it out for me. I called my insurance company and they told me HE COULD BE DONE AS AN OUTPATIENT. Well, needless to say that oral surgeon lost us as patients, they lied to me. I felt God forbid if something were to go wrong at least he would be where they could act fast. RITALUCY, yes I am allergic to Iodine, now that i'm older I can tolerate fish better, I don't get hives as much. But IV iodine, has never been given to me again...that is the first thing I tell any doctor that I go to, it's on the front of my chart. I eat salt on my food and it doesn't bother me...but some fish does....Glad you stuck to your guns..they shouldn't play guinea pig with your life...that trial and error #### shouldn't be played with, when it involves life or death.

·
Registered
283 Posts
First of all, I know I am allergic to IVP dye. They gave me that rapid infusion (which was really weird). As I was leaving the CT dept I looked down at my arm and had enormous hives developing. I went into the bathroom and my face was starting to swell. I went back and showed them and they gave me Benadryl and said I was obvious allergic to IVP dye. They said next time it would certainly be worse. A few years later when I needed a CT scan she wanted to give it to me. I told her the reaction I had earlier. She said, "well, do you want to go ahead without it or should we take a chance and see what happens?"Take a chance! We? Yeah Lady, sure, maybe I'll stop breathing this time? I have not eaten seafood since that time. I'm not sure if I'd be allergic to it now or not? Does anyone know?

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Auroraheart, You reaction to the Iodine thing spoke loudly to me"had told them I had family who reacted to the dye and apparently they keep track of that. I have been told to always carry a card with me saying to never use IVP dye on me. Then, last year my GI wanted to do something on me and use the dye. Can you imagine what my reaction was? NO WAY IN HELL!!! I DO NOT WANT TO DIE AGAIN!!! OR STOP BREATHING!!! He went on about how they could put an antihistimine in me and that should work. I am normally very polite...but I told him directly there was no way in hell I was going to find out if it "should" work."You know, lately I've been on the rant with the medical professionalsI have felt really realy angry and I've been thinking oh heck, I'm just probably neurotic like they keep telling me and maybe I do need those dopey hormones the new gynecologist tried to push on me.But you know what........after reading your response I got my second wind and I realized.........NO! were're not neurotic. We're not crazy. We're not overly reactive women on the verge.We are literally fighting for our lives and our loved ones lives and it's a tough battle and, well, sometimes we just have to go a littleradical because it's our life and at least for this ride on the great cosmic wheel of life, it's the only one we are issued for this present reality.You know, back in april when I had my two surgeries they gave me morphine.I told them that I don't do well on morphine and they said don't worry we'll give you anti nausea meds. So the morphine goes on board right after surgery.Yea.I spent that whole 1st post surgery nigth ripping at my skin because I itched so badly and freaking my husband and my best friend out because I kept hallucinating and I'd just stop moving and stare off into space and then(according to them) I'd gasp and take a deep breath like one does when they've been under water too long and then I'd go to sleep or do something strange like point to the garden!Oh yehhhh that's just what we want after major surgery.On top of that, when it came time to move off the pump I.V the Gyn doctor ordered me up Codine even though I told her that I was allergic to that too.Well yet again there was the question......are you REALLY allergic? what happens.So guess what...Codine w/ nausea meds.So guess what.........replay of the morphine but just a little toned down.With all that drug induced itching it's no wonder that I developed a nasty little skin condition that is just now being treated with a special compounded formula made just for my poor skin.Which by the way is working wonderfully and thank goodness for the wise dermatologist.Oh I could go on and on..................Anyway, thanks for your thoughts that reminded me that yes, it is our life we are fighting for.Some days I'm fine and strong and sure.and other days I'm totally unsure.It's hearing other words that bring me back to my balance and surefootedness when the emotionalself is depleated and feeling a bit insecure.Thanks,Kamie

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aurora I read your story with horror.. you are so lucky to be here...don't you ever let them give you iodine and you tell everyone you know if ever in case of an emergency they don't give it to you. bobo -- it is so amazing isn't it and then the hospitals and dr.'s blame the lawyers because their malpractice insurance is so high! Go figure!Cigarello -- I bet you could tell many stories based on your experience. What do you do? IV SEDATION IN A DOCTOR'S OFFICE-- I think is a common practice or should I say malpractice.Loraine -- that oral surgeon should have lost his license. I cannot believe that he would risk your son's wellbeing and lie like that. I think I would have reported him all the way up the chain. What is wrong with these people!Karen -- that was my greatest fear actually -- was the rapid infusion -- they told me that could try about 5 ccs and then see how I did and then rapidly infuse the other 150ccs... Yeah right...I am stupid...like more is going to be better for me! You are also very lucky that they didn't kill you with all that iodine. -- Well I started showing an allergy to seafood about 2 years ago or so. I broke out in hives all over my body and my face and eyes were puffy and then each time I ate it it seemed to take a bit less seafood but then at times I would eat a shrimp or two and I would be ok -- so I tried to figure out for sure what type of seafood and lobster doesn't seem to bother me like shrimp or crab or clams. It was a large lobster tail that I had last that sent me rushing fromt he restaurant to get a bottle of benadryl. I won't eat it anymore and my daughter has made me swear that I won't. Kamie -- you have summed it up..we have to fight for our own lives...You stick to your guns!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Kamie...yes, keep your fight for what you think is right. I'm always scared of worrying too much as well and seeming neurotic. But then I remember all the times I have been the one who was right and my doc was wrong. They are human and make mistakes, but I'd rather their mistake not be learned at the expense of my life. Btw I am extremely sensitive to codeine. They say it is not an allergy, but I have outer body experiences and stuff and I do NOT like that at all. I get a bit of a rash on my chest and a bit itchy, but not too bad.RitaLucy...that is the first thing I tell any doctor. All my friends know as well. My Mom nearly went off the deepend when I told her what my GI had suggested. Her own father died at pretty much the same time (day and hour) that I apparently did so it affects her a lot. She nearly had TWO deaths to deal with in one day. So, though I am now 30 she is very protective of me and was very upset that they wanted to use the IVP again.I find it weird though that I can eat crab by the all u can eat and not have any problems though.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Auroraheart: For 15 years I was Director of Risk Management in a teaching hospital; my responsiblity was among other things, to try and identify risk and prevent serious incidents and ultimately reduce malpractice cases which cost hospitals and corportions millions of dollars. I worked with attorneys investigating incidents and existing malpractice cases and attempted to educate medical personnel on how to minimize risk; it wasn't an easy task and I finally gave up the whole deal and now work with a personal injury attorney. I have to tell you I could write a book but i would have to leave the country; I sat on the quality assurance committee at the hospital, where none of the phycicians wanted to hear about the potential problems and existing problems that existed. It was so political and so frustrating. Now I get to screen potential clients and help educate them too; Unfortunately most of the people that call our office don't have very good cases because the damages (compensabe injury) aren't significant enough for an attorney to expend all the time and money necessary to litigate. Nevetheless we do have some good cases and horror stories you wouldn't believe. You should always question the physician when you have concerns; as regards allergies to contrast media (i.e. dye), once you have had a reaction you must assume you will always have it. Take care all and be well

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.