Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,About 4 weeks ago I came down with what I though was some sort of stomach virus. I had constant noises in my intestines -gurgling, rumbkling, growling, etc, and there was definite bloating also. After a week of that I experienced fatigue, and weird bowel patterns, as well as lightheadedness. Sometimes there was a bit of loose poop but nothing too weird overall.It eventuallty more or less went away after 2 weeks or so to where I wasn't noticing much of anything, but early this week I ate a VERY spicy curry dish, and my intestines have been growling ever since. I've also been bloating once again and have has a couple of loose BM's. I saw my doctor and he did a quick checkup and told me I most liekly had a case of IBS. My life has been extremely stressfull over the last couple of weeks after the first incident and I also had a head cold.I've been watching what I eat and hopefully this rumbling and bloating will go away soon - I would say its anoyying and uncomfortable more that anythuign else.is this a mild form of IBS? I've never experienced anything quite like it. Is my body simply responding to stress?Anybody with any insight?Chrisps: I've pured over this board and I have to say that my heart really goes out to those of you who are suffering from this.

G

·
Chris,Your symptoms sound kind of similar to mine in that I just have gas, bloating, and occasional mild constipation but nothing too extreme. I didn't think I had IBS for a while because my bowel patterns were relatively normal compared to most but now I realize I have mild IBS. I'm bothered most by the noisy intestines more than anything else. So I can relate to what your going through. It's also important to realize that there are treatments out there to look into.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Victor.You mention treatments - what in particular? Is it normal to wake up one morning and have your intestines begin growling at you? It seems to have happened totally out of the blue - I literally woke up one morning and they were churning away at me! What, if anything, can you do to reduce these symptoms? I'm assuming that the extra intestinal activity is what is causing the gas buildup and then the bloating. Get rid of the grumbling, and all will be well.... I hope
Chris

G

·
For me I did wake up one morning and my stomach just started growling and all the other symptoms came along with it. I can't tie it to any particular food because I get the symptoms every day to a mild degree no matter what I eat. Of course if I eat something bad my symptoms will worsen but eating anything seems to bring them on. I don't know if you get symptoms every day but I know I do.So I think stress is the root of the problem for me. Therefore the treatments I have looked into are psychological treatments. A lot of people on the board have benefitted from doing hypnosis and I think most people say they improve about 80% after doing this. I'm currently in the process of doing this right now and I think I'm slowly improving. I've seen improvements in gas, bloating, and pain. You should look into it.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Some people get IBS following a GI infection.OTOH, people's GI tracts can be more senstive to things that normally don't bother them for 2-6 weeks or so after having a GI infection. Lactose, spicy foods, etc may be more bothersome than usual.Generally you need to have something like 6 weeks of symptoms on a pretty regular basis before it gets called IBS.Most people's GI tracts recover normally after a GI infection, but the risk of IBS developing in the months after a GI infection is 10 X that of someone who didn't get a GI infection.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.And from the as if IBS isn't enough of a worry file...from New Scientist's Feedback column: photographed on the door of a ladies' loo in the Sequoia National Park in California by reader Liz Masterman: "Please keep door closed to discourage bears from entering."

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm, thanks for the reply. As I mentioned, I had what I "thought" was an infection for a couple of weeks, and I more or less got 95% better (no grumbling, no bloating). I ate some spicy food and lived through a couple of very stressful weeks, withy a head cold, and the growling guts and gas started right up again. I don't have the fatigue as before, however. 've been watching what I eat over the last few days, and aside from waking up with lots of gas, I had a perfectly normal BM.Is this IBS or are my guts just annoyed at my stress?Chrisps: Thanks again for the feedback.

G

·
Chris,It's important to get a proper diagnosis from a doctor so you know exactly what condition you have. But it sounds similar to what I went through so I would assume it's IBS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.