Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,I recently stumbled upon your website in search of some help and understanding. It sounds as though I have been experiencing many similar symptoms and feelings as some of you, and it makes me feel not so freaky. I was diagnosed with IBS-C & D a few years ago, and I'm slowly learning what foods/drinks I should stay away from. I still have my weaknesses though, ice cream, beer, but I pay for it! Anyway, I've had some pretty embarassing situations occur over the past few years. One of my 1st happened on a boat ride with my husband and 2 friends. No sooner than we pulled out into the waterway with no bathroom around, I felt a bout of D coming quickly! I managed to make it a few minutes until we neared a restaurant. They docked the boat and waited a half hour or more for me to join them once again on the boat. As we pulled away and got going again, I felt another strong urge coming even quicker this time! I was almost in tears but held out until the next marina and jumped off before they even tied the boat up. Again I stayed gone for 30 minutes or more. Then I was so scared and anxious about even stepping foot on the boat again, but had no other choice! And I've had more of these embarassing incidents happen since then. My question is, I'm planning to go on vacation with my hubby and his dad and friend in a couple of weeks. I'm already getting anxious about potential problems that I might have while we're there. And my biggest fear is that they are going to want to hop in a car, go sight-seeing, etc. and I'm already stressing about making sure a bathroom is near at all times! I just want to enjoy my vacation and not worry about these things, but I can't help it. I thought about pre-medicating myself with tons of Pepto and Immodium to prevent possible episodes of D, but don't want to stay stopped up and bloaty the whole time either! Help!!!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
hi leighI know exactly what you are going through. I also have IBS D/C and the worst part is that in treating one, you often throw yourself to the other. I think like me, you tend to treat the D more than the C since it's worse in terms of accidents/ situations. here are a few suggestions for the trip. use immodium, even as a preventive measure - just make sure you don't load up too much. Bring along safe foods if possible. While foods aren't a real trigger for me, if under stress, there are foods that tend to be more problematic for me. I love Luna bars.Also, make contigency plans. what's the worst that can happen and how to deal with it. and then put it on the back burner. I've gotten through a lot of troubling situations with this. By the way, all this includes be open and up front with people about my IBS. I don't give gory details but if I'm in a situation which might warrant a dash some place, I tell people ahead of time. It takes some of the pressure offin the long run, I have other suggestions. I take a fiber supplement, a calcium/magnesium supplement and do hypno for my IBS C/D. They all really help although I find the hypno is the best thing. it's not a quick fix though. neither is fiber or the cal/mag. but they all help. as a matter of fact, I tend to tkae more calcium when traveling or worried about D. but it will also constipate too much sometimes so be careful.have a great trip!nancy

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree with nmwinter's advice. I am an IBS D and C. When I went on vacation this summer, I took the Imodium during the "driving days". I took only one pill to start with so I wouldn't cause the C to be too bad. I took my safe foods to help keep the tummy under control as much as possible. A new food I found on vacation was Odwalla bars. I had never had them and was looking for a snack at the deli. They contain no dairy which is a big no-no for me. I also agree with being upfront. I went on vacation with my husband, 4 kids, mom, dad, and brother and his family. Everyone knows I have the "bad tummy" so everyone cut me a break. The few days that I didn't feel good, I stayed in my room for a while until I felt better and then went on my way. I told everyone else to go sightseeing and come back for me in a few hours. I took magazines to read. The other thing that helped me was music. When we were driving (7 hour drive) I put my favorite music on so that I would forget about thinking of the "what could happen" situations. It kept my mind busy.Good luck on trip. Try to have a good time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nancy and Busybee,Thanks so much for your helpful advice. I truly appreciate you taking time to share your thoughts with me. I will definitely try some of the suggestions you both mentioned. I actually just went to my first hypnotherapy session a few weeks ago, and my counselor also made a relaxation tape for me to use on my trip. I'm hoping this along with medication will help ease my mind. Thanks again for your encouraging words. It's good to know that there are others who can relate!Sincerely,Leigh

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.