Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
As far back as I can think, I have been in a relationship for the past 8 years. My ex and I broke up due to her doing something stupid and me not being able to forgive her for it (not what your thinking). It's been a good year since I've had any contact with women and by any I mean ANY lol. It's been all by choice though because I can't figure out how to manage a relationship with a girl who might thrive on spontaneity and all the things that can be fun when you first meet someone and... the IBS-D <= primarily the D. I try to tell myself that more people have it than will admit and I just don't think I can explain that I may not be able to do certain things because of it. one BIG thing is that i won't go anywhere that does not have a restroom. I try to plan accordingly. If i'm going to be outside I survey the scene to look for wooded areas that can succumb to a blasting if needed. (c'mon people laugh with me
). I am afraid that I will meet a great girl that I can picture myself dating but will let her slip away because I refuse to give in to emotions due to my condition. I'm also afraid I might have let one or two get away because of it also. I've kind of lost motivation to even try at this point because I'm so used to being single and alone but there are days I wish i had someone to listen to complain about their job and life and do some spoonin' at night
. I know some have it worse than I do and trust me you have all my sympathy. If IBS-D is like this I can only Imagine what it's like to have a worse condition. For me tho this sucks and it's all relatively new to me. Maybe some wise words of wisdom can snap me back into it with alittle more confidence.IBSisEVILM

·
Banned
240 Posts
My words of wisdom is to give it all up.No sex, no women. I became a monkwhen I first suspected I had IBS and mylife is so much better. No, for real...25 TO 35 million people in the U.S. alonehave IBS. When I started discussing my issueswith people I knew, I was amazed as to howmany disclosed that they had either IBSc, IBSd,IBSa, colitis, crohns, etc. Even my own familymembers! This issue, or any issue, is not worth becominga hermit for. You must face life head on becauselater in life, you will not understand why you letthis issue control you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
IBSisEVIL,I have to agree with SunNSnow: hermitage is not the answer! Believe me, I locked myself up for a good five months when my symptoms were at their worst and now that I've finally found a treatment that works, I've become infinitely more comfortable with myself! I've learned that so many people suffer from IBS and IBD, or know someone who does, and I don't feel so alienated anymore. I regret that I didn't take action sooner. I've spent some very lonely years in college while my friends had dates and social lives and significant others. Don't fall into the IBS trap like I did! My advice is to be as proactive about finding a treatment plan as possible (whether it's a new diet, medication, CBT, stress management, or any combination therein). Once you start feeling better more regularly, you'll probably feel more confident to get out there and meet someone. Some things I've found helpful for going out/socializing when you have IBS:1. If you're feeling nervous before leaving the house, try some relaxation techniques: medication, yoga, etc. 2. Drive, don't walk (as long as you're not drinking). It's nice to have a quick way to get home if you start feeling ill when you're out. 3. Always carry some "emergency" medication (if you have IBS-D, especially). Stress brings on symptoms quickly for me, so I keep my prescription with me at all times. Good luck!transatlanticist

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do keep a thing of Immodium with me. Stuff works wonders but I'm just paranoid. Nervousness seems to happen only when introduced to something new.After being around it a few times and becoming comfortable with the situation I lighten up a bit and it's less on my mind. It is alwasy in the back of my mind tho. If I find a way to not think about it when I'm out for the most part I can be good. Oh and trust me I drive where I need to go and I make sure i drive because I have wheel man skillz and can navigate pretty thoroughly thru towns. I'm very aware of my surroundings and landmarks when driving becasue you never know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.