Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone....haven't been on this bboard in months, as i've been on a roller coaster with college, grades, ibs, marijuana, jobs, etc. the past year, and lost my internet until now....but i think i'm on the right track now, finally...anyway, i'm looking to enter the workforce and support myself for 6-12 mths, and then will re-assess whether i feel like i could handle being in classrooms at that point.while i'm also searching my area (pittsburgh) for normal hourly office jobs, the work-at-home option is naturally intriguing to me (and this is the one place i don't have to fully explain why
)....thing is, i could imagine that many of the work-at-home websites i run across are either A) quite shady & hard to trust; or
very low pay for a tremendous amount of work. now i should point out, i don't mind tedious high-volume work, as i know i'm oddly quite good at that, from my data entry experiences. i'm just a little cautious about ending up with 500 sales calls a day for $5 an hour or something.anyone have any experience/knowledge with the work-at-home field? any companies, specific fields, or the like you could recommend? is this just wishful thinking on my part, not practical?any suggestions are greatly appreciated. feels good to be contacting all of you again, thanks for everything....methical

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hi Methical! Welcome back!I'm quite interested in working at home too since I can't get back into the workforce yet due to recent surgery. I will be following this thread closely for sure. :love: Belinda

·
Registered
164 Posts
Methical & Belinda,I researched so called home-based businesses extensively back in the mid-1990's, and came to some disturbing conclusions. Sadly, everything I tried turned out to be either an outright scam, or just something which you could expend time and energy on and make very little money.I even joined an organization called the International Homeworkers Association, in the hope of winnowing out some of the scams and finding legitimate opportunities, and still did not find anything substantive. (Note: that organization itself might have been a scam, and it has since morphed into something else. I lost track over the years.)One would think, with the advent of the InterNet, that this might have changed. My suspicion, however, is that it just broadened the opportunities to relieve folks like us of our money in pursuit of something elusive. There are some exceptions, but they are rare. One possibility is "telecommuting". This is where you interview with and are hired by a business, and are able to do the work via the Net from home. The odds of being able to find such an arrangement are better if you live in a good sized city. Another possibility is if you have a skill like tax preparation or accounting--you might be able to grow a businees from a home office, but you would still likely have to go outside the home and drum up business.The bottom line is be VERY careful, do the best research you can, and be prepared to be hit on at every opportunity by unscrupulous operators. The search ultimately might not do your IBS symptoms any good. Good luck!

·
Registered
256 Posts
One really good work at home possibility is medical transcription. The clinic or hospital will set you up with the neccessary computer connections and you can work according to a contract. It does require some training, but they seem to be scarce and in demand.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Lubner, I was just going to suggest the same thing. I am looking into being a medical transcriptionist. Yes, they are in demand and you can make pretty good money. It does, however, require 1-2 years training, BUT you can do that from home too, online. I found a place that charges $1300 for the course, including all the books you need, and the equipment. Look into it, if you are interested in the medical field at all.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Marius thanks for the great info.... I kinda knew that already but always have hopes. Lubner and JeanieK,I have an excellent friend who has done medical transcription for years and now all those jobs are outsourcing to India.
They can transcribe for 3 cents a line. Such a shame! She and all her transcription buddies are now without jobs since 3 months ago. She is disabled but can't get disability yet, a single parent and heavily relied on her profession to survive.I am always looking for a stay-at-home solution. Guess I will stick to my Mary Kay biz and web hosting/web development biz. I just don't want to return to nursing (with all the red tape and political bs)
Belinda

1 - 6 of 6 Posts