Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im new to this site, i have ibs never suffered very often maybe once every 3 months or so and after tablets was fine, but i have been feeling really ill for 3 weeks now,went to gp last week and he said its ibs take tablets,even thought i told him about the pain and how i feel sick and have lost my appetite,said to go back if no better. So i still feel ill but if i go back i know i will be referred back to the hospital and im a bit scared,as he was asking me about if anyone in my family has bowel cancer! any advice please,oh and the tablets ive been taking are boots ibs tablets.Thanks.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you have a family history of colon cancer in about half of your family when they were in their 30's and 40's that could mean you need to be evaluated to see if you have a genetic problem (although most people know this and get on colon screening tests early).If there is no family history of colon cancer under 50 they usually can rule that out in people under 50 with a question. However if they don't ask, or you don't tell them they don't know if you are from a rare high risk family or are one of the majority that doesn't have to worry until they are after 50.

·
Registered
168 Posts
They typically ask about history of inflammatory bowel disease and colon cancer in your family because it helps them decide what tests they might do. For instance, if they were debating whether to do a colonoscopy or not and let's say you're 38 and had a family member who got cancer in their 40s or early 50s, they'd probably opt to do the colonoscopy. Most of the time when they ask you about cancer history, they don't think you actually have it, it's just to get an idea of what they need to keep in the possible diagnosis list.If you're having problems, I recommend going back. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts