Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Advice Please

341 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  arrrgh 
#1 ·
Please give me some advice. Before I had these IBS symptoms I went to the bathroom every few days, not every day. Then I started drinking SlimFast,and while drinking that I went everyday just about. THen in May I started having very loose stools sometimes several times a day. I stoped the slimfast, per the docotor. Since I have had the loose BM's, light in color and sometimes up to 4 times a day. When I stared taking Calcium it went down to mostly 1 time a day, with some days being a few more times. Anyway. I now have not gone in 2 days. I have been able to go a very very little bit (I have heard the good descriptive term of Rabbit Pellets) I feel no urge to go, I was just trying. Anyway I have had several episodes in the last few weeks of going two days without. I am now on day 3. Should I be worried about this? Or is this okay since I didn't used to go everyday anyway. I have not taken any Calcium today, and don't plan to till I go again. Advice.Sarah

#2 ·
I started noticing the first symptoms of occasional IBS when I was on Slim Fast in High School. It didn't become chronic until last year (I am 27), but it really used to do a job on my stomach that I thought I had become lactose intolerant so I stopped it. Just thought that was interesting that you said Slim Fast.Anyway getting to your question: I am not an expert, but I too suffered from c and did some research on it. I don't think it is necessarily bad that you don't go everyday considering you never used to. The book I read said that bowel habits are different fromperson to person. I think it all depends, although it would be benefical to go everyday because it is waste and the faster it comes out the better because the longer it is in there the more it builds up bacteria (ferments) and causes excess gas. I don't think three days is something to be extremely alarmed about but I woudn't let it go too long without a BM.C is definitely an annoyance, and as we know with IBS the pain is usually relieved with a BM. You can perhaps look into alternatives to laxatives (you don't want to become a regular laxative user) Consider Metamucil, Citrucel, Aloe Vera Juice, or a magnesium supplement or something to help you go naturally. Ask your doctor if he/she has any suggestions as well.This is all basically my opinion from my own experience and things I have read from others on this BB. Check with Mike NL or Eric, as they are really educated and informed on IBS.

#3 ·
Good idea to stop the calcium and wait until you have a Bm then start back with maybe and adjustment on the amount you are taking. I don't remember how much you are on but you may just need to cut back on one of the doses and see what happens. I know you do not have to have a BM every day but as you approach 3 day it is time to make some adjustment so you don't have a constipation problem.Linda

#4 ·
I_H8_IBS- That is a strange connection with the Slimfast. My doctor made me quit it. Though I should clarify. The days I drank it (5days a week)I had normal BM's. OVer the weekend though I would develop D. Weird huh? Anyway...Linda- Thanx, the problem, um... resloved itself LOL. I guess I'll stick with the 2 pills a day, 1/2 with lunch and breakfast and a full one with dinner
Sara

#5 ·
Hi arrgh,Yes that is a weird connection. I too became a lot more regular on it. I remembered two funny stories relating to my Slim Fast era- I had just started Slim Fast and also had just started dating this guy. He invited me over to meet his parents and have dinner. My bowels were making these loud grumbling noises even after I ate dinner. Finally his mom says to me (with a strong look of concern) "are you alright?!"
lol... I thought I was the only one who would be able to hear them, but obviously not. This happened often on Slim Fast, but then for my Biology class we were taking an exam and the same thing happened the girl in front of me kept turning around and looking at me. I said forget it. At the time I was still overweight but figured, I'd rather go off the Slim Fast (although it was working for weight loss) than have people expect an alien to come flying out of my stomach like Sigorney Weaver in Alien

#6 ·
Thats funny. I don't remember if mine made excess noise or not. I was just always hungry on it and I didn't loose any weight, but maintained my weight. I really drank them because I love the Cappacino one and what a cheap lunch! I could have lunch for a week for $5. I have thought about trying them again, as they didn't bother me when I was drinking them. Heck I could take a slimfast a day if it fixed everything! Sara

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.