Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys...

I was wondering what the best way to get Xifaxan is? Should I go through the Salix patient assistance program? When I called, they said I would have to use their pharmacy, not CVS like I use for all my other medicines. Do you guys know what pharmacy they send from and what kind of experiences have you all had with it?

I am really suffering and this seems like it could have some promise, but I have had bad experiences with specialty pharmacies before. I don't want to get ripped off...

Appreciate all the help!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know that when I purchased it, the $10 coupon didn't work whatsoever. Through my insurance, I had to pay hundreds for the script. That said, I don't recommend Xifaxan. I've taken it twice for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth @ 550 mg for 1 month.

Not only did it NOT fix anything, I became extremely sick after completing the cycle (both times). It was such a terrible sickness each time that lasted for an entire month. Xifaxan, as an anti-biotic, kills both your bad AND good gut bacteria. Your doc should advise you to take a probitotic with it, but I highly highly highly recommend you don't forget even a single serving of probiotics. Your immune health depends on you not forgetting to take that probiotic. I'm sorry I can't be of more assistance with obtaining the medication itself, but whatever you do, don't pay out of pocket for it --- it's just not worth it.

Best of luck!

- Chris

·
Registered
40 Posts
Similar feedback to the last poster. The benefits were very temporary and by day 14 I really struggled with no lasting benefits. I did simply go through my gastro for the script and through insurance I paid only a small copay for 60 pills. I believe it was $50, but may have been less.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you to you both.. I am really ready to give anything a shot at this point. Unfortunately I can't use the co-pay coupon that they offer. I need to go through their patient assistance program, was wondering if anyone could share any experiences they have using that?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.