Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.There has been a lot of pressure on me, from myself and my parents, to get a job. I just graduated from college and want to move out, but I am still working on getting rid of these abdominal pains.Even though I am not ready yet, because of all of the pressure and me WANTING a job, I have been asking my friends about asking for me at their work, and one contacted me today and said there is a possibility of a job. I immediately went into pannick/depresion mode, because I can't work if I can't eat. And I can't eat until these pains go away.My doctor said to try Lactulose, which helped me have a bowel movement (yay!), but I still had pain when I ate the brown bread and jam he said I should this morning.I can't be at work if I can't eat!!! And I can't have these pains there either!! But there is so much damned pressure on me, and I HATE IT!!!Help please.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Ooni,Getting a job could very well be the thing that will help you focus on something else besides how you are feeling. Initally you will be nervous, until you know the people, and the bathroom situation. Once settled in at a job it becomes your second home and is more bearable than you thought. I find the more I have to do at work the better I am. As for eating or not eating. It is probably best to eat light, stay away from foods you know will trigger your d-no caffeine or greasy foods the day of and night before. Remember that what you eat for dinner can affect you in the morning.You can do this!
Like I said it really may help take your mind off of it. Keep a postive attitude about it. Try it-worse case scenario it doesn't work out. But you want know unless you try. I am sure most people who will respond to this will tell you that when they are at work and are busy they are not thinking about it as much. Take a chance and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for replying jomo_Okay, so it should help me ignore the crampings then? My nightmare is keeling over at work. Although I have dealt with diarreah before in a work situation, yah, want to avoid that too. I need to see a nutritionist asap to help me with food choices. I was really put off when a banana caused tummy cramps (soluable fibre?), but right now anything I eat does. So it doesnt matter what I do, I will be uncomfortable. Then again, becoming a borderline anorexic like I am right now isn't good for me either. And I tend to get adrenaline rushes at work, which should help.Is there any kind of juices that are okay, besides apple? I get low blood sugars a lot. I'm not a diabatic, but I need juice or something. Is citric acid a usual nono for IBS people?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well seeing a nutrionist is very important for you. As far as juices if you want to keep your blood sugar level up or at a normal level, maybe eat fruit instead of drinking juice. I find that most juices-except OJ in the morning will/can give me D. But fruit tends to be a little better for me. If you eat a little bit throught out your day I think they may help your sugar level. Are you able to eat a piece of toast? It doesn't have to be a high fiber bread. Maybe put some peanut butter on it for some protein. Maybe have an apple with it. That would be a good breakfast if you can handle it. Stay away from cheese-unless you have found it doesn't bother you. That can cause some stomach upset. Do you eat baked or barbequed chicken? You can have that for dinner with some rice and a veggie-such as canned or fresh sting beans, etc.... I am not sure what your diet is like or what foods you have been having a problem with? Also have you gone on .. There are alot of alternative things to take to help with your IBS. I have been taking the peppermint caps w/good results. Also keep Beano with you for those foods that cause alot of gas. Is there any possibilty that your pain is gas pains? The most important thing here is that you find foods that you can tolerate. You don't want to become aneroxic. It sounds like you have excepted the D and that is a good thing. For most people it is debilatating. Now it is matter of you controlling your diet and getting healthy. I hope this helps you. Defitnely go forward w/the job search and in the meantime work on your diet. Keep me posted!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi -sorry to hear you're having so much pain. I've just moved jobs (with the same company)but to a different office and I was really worried about the toilet situation and what if I was sick at work, etc. but after the first few days I settled in and relaxed. I've also told a couple of my colleagues that I have irritable bowel and that really helps take the pressure off and then you can relax and then you can feel a bit better!Have you tried any of the anti cramping medicines? We have buscopan here in the UK, which you just buy over the counter and it does relax the bowel and help with the pain. On the juice front, I find cranberry juice to be fine. Can't handle OJ at all!Hope the job situation works out for you.

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
i know where your coming from ooni, i would love to go abck to work but because of the kind of work i was in it would not be a good idea, however im trying to get into some volountary work with victims of domestic violence or homeless peeps.good luck with what ever you decide to do

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.