Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents are sick and tired of me refusing to ea hamburgers, and tacos. they say that they are sick it when i just eat the french fries and pick at the burger/ taco meat. anyway, i told them that i would eat them willingly if they were soy (stupid me) Im afraid to try soy becuase of all the posts that talk negatively about soy. i can ea soy lechitan all fine n dandy, but im afraid if i eat straight up soy burger, ill get sick. does anyone have any information on soy?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I regularly consume soy protein isolate. I frequently lift weights and I use it moderately to add protein to my vegetarian diet. My experience with soy is that it causes me no more grief than meat ever caused. Most people will tell you the same. Being a vegetarian or a meat eater seems to have no effect on IBS for most folks. Other soy products are more difficult to digest than soy isolate, but digestability is not the same thing as the lack of IBS symptoms. The cellulose in celery is undigestable for humans, but it doesn't seem to cause me any problems IBS-wise. By the way, I'm a D-type.

·
Registered
515 Posts
i personally do better on meat, but have funky reactions to some soy products, not all.. maybe you could try one or two things, and see if you have good or bad reactions to it. you could also do a search in yahoo to find out more about soy, and what symptoms some people have with it etc.. everyone's different!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I do great on soy, so-so on poultry, and I won't touch pork or beef anymore. Everybody is different. Unfortunately, we have to experiment to find out what is best for ourselves. Through experimenting I found I do okay with some soft cheeses, but can't tolerate hard cheeses. And no other dairy, so I sub soy once again. I just had a pile of people over for a chili supper. I do fine on beans and make the chili with soy crumbles - and I am known for my fantastic chili. The only thing that I suffer from is the tomatoes.(which I can control the ratio)

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
General health with soy info ranges from it is a miracle food that will cure all ills to it is an evil food that causes all ills. In moderation it is probably more on the healthy side, but if it is a huge part of your diet you might be able to overdo it.As for specifically for IBS. Some soy products have significant amounts of raffinose and some other sugars that can increase gas for some people. Each individual is more or less sensitive to this so some people find soy in any amount very bothersome. Other people find soy to be one of their safe foods.You don't know which you are until you try it...it is a "your mileage may vary" sort of thing and there may be some that tolerate it well when IBS is being good, but cannot tolerate it during flare ups. It can be that variable.K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.