Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel so incredibly sick right now. I have bad explosive D and my stomach is churning and it feels like I'm going to vomit and take a #### at the same time. I've been doing Atkins and tonight I had toast. Guess what? All my usual IBS symptoms came back with a vengence within 10 minutes of eating toast.HELP!!!! Is this IBS or celiac disease?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
No one can tell you if it is either.All I can say is that Im going through it REALLY bad right now, too.And I wish you well, I too am "sickofbeingsick". I was up ALL NIGHT again last night with diarrhea, and it is 10:45pm and I just started it again... so who knows how long I will be up tonight. I hope we both get over it tonight relatively soon!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Without testing I don't know if you can assume celiac from this timing sort of thing.Sometimes if we "know" we shouldn't eat something. And by "know" I mean the brain has "decided" (this is not concious it is more like Pavlov's dog sort of thing) that X food makes us sick and must be tossed out of the body if it is ingested.I had this with raisens and it made no sense that there was any food intolerance mechanism (grapes, fine, all other dried fruit, fine, raisens...instant vomit). After a few years of avoiding raisens totally I got over it. But as long as I ate raisins it kept happening. And that sort of reaction fits the timing. You eat it, the brain signals the mast cells and they expel the stuff from the body.That is just one explaination if nothing pans out with it. I was on a field study with a celiac who was really sensitive to gluten (I mean if you stuck a spoon in the regular pasta and then put it in the gluten free pasta he would react) but it wasn't a 10 minutes later he was violently ill like this...I think with him it seemed more of a couple of hours later, I thought (and I could be wrong) that it needed to hit the small intestine before the sort of recognition of the gluten would occur.In any case I hope you feel better soon, I would run this past the doctor to see if they want to do tests for celiac (I just don't know if this reaction would be typical of celiac, it doesn't from the person I know, but that doesn't mean it isn't in the realm, I would think if this was typical for celiac it wouldn't be so hard for people to figure out what is going on with them.) and for now, stick to the diet that doesn't make you sick. K.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. I woke up at 4 this morning because I stopped taking sleeping pills. Why do I do that? URGH, and to top things off I still don't feel that great.I am going to get tested for celiac to see if I have it or not.Back on Atkins today, it makes me feel optimal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you want to find out if it is Celiac, have an endoscopy. It sounds horrible, but actually, they give you demeral and valium, which is kind of cool, next thing you know some one says "okay, you're done". Coming out of the the demeral and valium is not unpleasant the way coming out of anesthesia is. I too have a problem with carbohydrates, but mine is bloating not D.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.