Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I posted before about having what turned out to be a benign adrenal adenoma removed ( left adrenal gland also removed). This was done on 7/11 through a left lateral (under my ribs)incision about 10 inches across. Since the surgery my stomach has been numb-from the incision right down to my bikini line. (surgeon told me tues it was due to cutting some nerves and stretching the skin, sensation may return in 6 months or so)and I have had more gas then I ever had in recent memory. It feels like I have a gas bubble just under the incision (which is near area of my colon-the part that goes across on the top) that moves around,sometimes seems to expand, either up or down. It feels like I am very full when it moves up and crampy when it moves down. I also have pressure in my back sometimes and in my shoulders if it goes in that direction. I seem to be able to pass gas ok but more seems to keep coming. I know they move your bowels around to get them out of the way when they do abdominal surgery so maybe that is why this is happening. It seems to be ever so slightly less uncomfortable each day. Seeing my GI Tues (surgeon wasnt one to talk to about IBS symptoms)but am wondring if anyone who has ever had abdominal surgery has had similar symptoms and how long they lasted. Today is 3 weeks since the surgery but I couldnet even pass gas till a week afterward and a few days after that my bowels worked again but this gas is AWFUL. Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Ask your doctor to take an X-ray of you standing to look at the gas/fluid levels. That should give you an idea of not how much gas there is but where it is. One possibility I think could be you somehow developed pneumatosis, which would result from a bacterial infection in the lining the bowel wall creating a gas pocket there, but some of the gas is escaping

G

·
After my recent left side colectomy, I had a lot of cramps. My surgeon said it was a very common occurence and that walking was the best thing to help it...he was right. I still have some numbness in one segment of the incision area.willie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.